Californian Rabbit Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Sep 6, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I recently started my stock with 5 Cali's. When I got them they all had really good coloring on their ears, now it seems like there is more and more white on them... could this be due to heat or food... or what?

Thanks!

2. Harmony

Harmony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    The Himalayan gene is temperature sensitive. The points on your Californians will get darker and larger in cold weather, and lighter/smaller in warmer weather.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    What Harmony said. Also, if a Himi-patterned baby gets cool, its fur will have a dark ticking in the part of the hair that was forming at that time (not permanent, the ticking will grow out with the next molt). A Himi colored doe will often have dark "smutty" areas on her chest or belly if she kindles and pulls fur during cool weather, because her skin cooled enough to color her coat while the fur was growing back in.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Neat-o! So does this mean rabbit shows are usually held during the cool months? They are show rabbits, and looked great when I got them, but now there is so much white on their ears I know they wouldn't place.

Also does anyone know when 4h season is? I want to have babies available for the local kids.

Thanks!

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Anyone?

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Posession date around here is May First, but many have them before that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by