California's Ban on Plasmas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Nov 19, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    It hasnt happend but they are moving to create a ban on big power hungry plasmas

But the California Energy Commission is looking for ways to relieve the strain on the power grid. Officials say the standards, once fully in place, would reduce the state's annual energy needs by an amount equivalent to the power consumed by 86,400 homes.

During a peak viewing time when most sets are on, such as the Super Bowl, TVs in the state collectively suck up the equivalent of 40% of the power generated by the San Onofre nuclear power station running at full capacity. Televisions account for about 10% of the average Californian's monthly household electricity bill.

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/1/6/california-may-ban-big-screen-tvs.html

What do you think?​

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Even more gov't intervention. Yippee.

At what point does it become undeniably ridiculous?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
  4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:I dont think thats it. They arent banning all TVs just the ones using a lot of energy..

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Quote:I dont think thats it. They arent banning all TVs just the ones using a lot of energy..

[​IMG] I was being silly.

Plasmas are on the way out as discussed by the techno geeks in my family, LCD being the up and coming technology. After the blackouts / shortages and increasing demand for electricity what else are they to do?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Good thing I can't afford a plasma TV. [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

I haven't had one of those new TV;s yet but hopefully I would know which one to buy. Next TV will be flat and wall mounted!

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga

[​IMG] I was being silly.
    Plasmas are on the way out as discussed by the techno geeks in my family, LCD being the up and coming technology. After the blackouts / shortages and increasing demand for electricity what else are they to do?

That is not allowed [​IMG]

I jk [​IMG]

But some people are saying they should raise the price of electricity. I didnt think that was fair to Betty Sue and Bobby Joe down the road who (and not to offend anyone cause lord knows I cant afford everything..) have to hang their clothes on a clothes line because they cant afford to run a dryer.

I think california is just saying to buy a more energy efficient TV..

9. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I think it's great.

All the keeping up with the Jones' is ridiculous and out of hand.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I think the old cabinet TV's are better. Since there is nothing on worth watching anyway you can take the tube out and use the box for a nest bex. Can't do that with a flat screen. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by