Call all B.R. experts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tracie70, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Hi All,
    I recently ordered 25 pullets from My Pet Chicken, I heard that they were very reputable. How can I be sure that these babies they sent me are all girls. I thought I read somewhere that you can tell by there marking and also there color feet. Can anyone fill this in for me?
    Like I said I am sure that they are reputable but I am wanting to learn how you can tell?

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It's said there are THREE things to look for and all three must occure.

Dark wash down front of legs
    Small and defined white spot on head

I cannot remember the third but BR are easy and somebody else can offer third [​IMG]

3. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Thanks so much Morgan that will really help me.

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Here we go:

Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans - Males have wider white barring. They will often appear more silvery-grey than black. The males usually have a much larger, splotchier headspot.

So, the darker ones (if you have any roo's in the batch to even compare with.) with dark wash down front of legs and a smaller more defined white head spot are hopefully and usually your pullets! I am sure somebody else will correct me if I am wrong. But all three things need to be accounted for on each chick.

Dark wash down front of legs
    Small more defined headspot
    Darker overall color

[​IMG] Do post pictures when you get them and I am sure some people can offer some opinions I love Barred Rocks because they tend to be so easy to sex!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by