Call Babies!! Help w/ Colors???

missmary49

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Hi there!
I had these 4 little guys hatch! Yay! Im proud..
big_smile.png

Anywho. I was wondering what colors do you think these are?? I got the eggs all mixed together. Still working on getting xtra photos from the seller of flock. But I thought you guys would like to see, and at the same time give me your best guess. Ive never had calls so I am not positive what colors yet.

Im thinking: Apricot or Silver ~ Blue or Choc ~ Black/White ~ Snowy or Grey.

Last edited:

missmary49

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
I lost the little grey one last night. The cat some how got close enough.. Ive never had that happen after I secured the cage. Im really sad because the grey was the only color I really wanted. I started out with 3 dozen. The came across the country from NY to WA. They were in the mail for 8 days via UPS. I was a little upset at this. Aslo the box had nothing to indicate that the cargo was fragile or live eggs. just a brown box. A lot of the airsacs looked roughed up. But I decided to try them anyways. 2 dozen developed thru the last week. then when I took the egg turner out, seems like alot died. 2 hatched early and 2 hatched late. some were alive in the shell but never pipped. I also noticed that the airsacs that had problems showed up later on in development. I wonder if this had anything to do with dropping hatch rates. still, amazing that i had 4 hatch from 8 day in shipping eggs. I want to try again, but my bf says no way. but after the death of the baby grey, i might be able to convince him otherwise.

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
I can tell you right now what the problem was....its the egg turner. You should NEVER use an egg turner with Call duck eggs.. NEVER EVER EVER!

Call duck eggs need to be hand turned. I'm sorry that you lost so many.

Laurie

missmary49

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
curious why the turner would cause a probem? 2 doz were alive right before i took it out to lay on the side. I did a quick check. How could the turner be the problem if its after I took it out did they die? Trying to understand..

1lpoock

Spruce Creek Waterfowl
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
In a turner, the eggs are vertical and just get tilted, the mother duck actually rolls her eggs and they lay on their sides, a lot of people think it is better to lay them on their sides and hand turn them. It is typical with call duck eggs to quit right before hatching. Did you have the humidity high enough?

Top Bottom