Call Duck & chicken coop..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aurorarose25, Aug 6, 2009.

1. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    What is the best way to keep call ducks? In a pen off the ground, in an enclosed pen on the ground, or what? I am getting my first call ducklings early next year and in the process of building a coop for my chickens. I want to get the most usage out of my pens. So anyone have any thoughts? Pics would be great as well if you have any?

Thanks

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ducks feet aren't made for living on wire. A covered pen on the ground is best for them.

3. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    Quote:ok, but I have seen several call breeders pens that are wired cages off the ground. Why are they doing that if the wire would hurt their feet?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A lot of breeders will seperate them into pens for the breeding season, but then let them back together afterwards. If the wire is small enough (like 1/2 inch or so) it would probably be okay, but I wouldn't keep them in a raised cage all the time.

5. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    Quote:oh ok that makes sense.
    thnx

6. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I have been planning a pen for my call ducks and was wondering the same... on the ground enclosure or raised off-the-ground pen. Off the ground would actually be cleaner, I think. Ducks wouldnt be able to make mud out of splashed water, etc. But then again, I think they'd be happier on the ground. I decided to do an enclosure/aviary built on the ground. I am working on it now. My debate now is whether to build a small concrete pond or sink a black tub into the ground. The advantage of the tub is that I can attach a drain to the bottom and pipe dirty water away from the enclosure. On the other hand, a concrete pond could be made to look more natural, I think.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I've read several places that off the ground on wire is good during the show season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: