Call Duck egg incubation question, new question Post #25

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WriterofWords, Apr 11, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    A fellow that worked with my classroom last year on our hatching project is having trouble getting his Call Duck's eggs to hatch. He is using a Brinsea and said they get to within few days of hatching then die. He brought me 6 eggs to try in my Hovabator but I don't know if they are different from regular eggs on time or humidity, etc. Could someone please give me good, specific, and very clear instructions on how to hatch Call Ducks?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    some say they hacthc on 26 day. This is my frist time hacting call eggs to. I am 'using a hova still air i gess still air is better for duck eggs. i got 10-11 call eggs in the bator now all have some thing in them

3. GUIENALADY

GUIENALADY Rest in Peace 1956-2010

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    call ducks hatch 26-28 days usually. they are just hard to hatch sometimes. i always did mine like any other duck egg. have a call hen on some eggs right now.

hopefully someone els might have ideas. i useully manage to hatch about half what i put in.

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you. What do you run the temp and humidity at? Mine is a forced air.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm starting to wonder if it would just be easier to stuff them under my broody Mallard hen.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:well what is she sitting on now, if nothing, than give her the call eggs they know what to do

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    Ive had low % hatch with some of my calls. This hatch im trying something that i do with the geese im cooling the eggs down a few times about 15 days 18,22,25.Hope it helps, i hatch next friday ill let u know how it worked.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just let my call hens hatch them....they have much better luck doing it than I ever did!!

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My Mallard is sitting hers and Hershey's eggs right now. His hen won't sit so he's tried incubating them. I'm going to try I'm just having a hard time getting any information about the length of incubation for them, the temp, and the humidity. I know I've seen it on here before but either I'm searching wrong or it was in some of the older removed threads.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

99.5 for forced air. I also use a brinsea, then switch to a hovabator to hatch. I just hatched 3 out of 4 and have another batch of 12 due tuesday.

I dont pay attention to the humidity the first 23 days. Day 23, I move them to the hatcher with 85% humidity.

Starting on day 10, cool the eggs for 10 min each day, and mist them during that cool down period.

Good Luck

ETA: They hatch on day 26. So on day 23, move them to the hatcher. I hatch my call duck eggs in a carton.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by