Call Duck Egga

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BuffLuvin, Jun 23, 2016.

1. BuffLuvin

BuffLuvin New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    Kansas, USA
    [​IMG]

We have 1 year old Call Ducks. Our female escaped last week so we took her eggs and put them under a heat lamp. Surprisingly, we ended up finding her before dusk but we had already set up the eggs inside and didn't want her to neglect them after disturbing her nest. The dark eggs seem to "breathe" rather than move. They are the only ones that move at all, and are around 3 or 4 weeks old after momma duck sat on them. Do they have any hope of hatching after disturbing the nest and the dark coloring?

Oh, and the title says Egga but it won't let me change it to Eggs. Sorry about that...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sniff them... if they stink then they are bad... did you candle them? See any veins or drawdown of the air cells? Are you turning them?

3. BuffLuvin

BuffLuvin New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    Kansas, USA
    We turn them 2-3 times a day. Candle test seemed optimistic, and there are clear air sacs. No smell as of yet, but they're close to their hatching date and I am concerned about the color. Since we moved them after she sat on them for 3ish weeks, I didn't know if that would disrupted them.

4. BuffLuvin

BuffLuvin New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    Kansas, USA
    Also just concerned about them being under a heat lamp rather than an incubator, but I think the temps and humidity levels are somewhat stable.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    As long as the temps are stable, no need to worry... dunno why those are discolored... I've had some do that and hatch fine, some don't... just keep your nose aware, they stink before there would be an egg exploding...

Only thing is I would up the turning to at least 3 to 5x's per day if possible... and watch for the air cells to drawdown... as soon as they start drawing down, stop turning and get ready for hatching within next 3 days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by