1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call duck eggs...do they get bigger?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyb1969, Feb 2, 2009.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

My young blue bibbed duck layed her first egg today! [​IMG] The prettiest, tiniest, green egg I've ever seen! [​IMG] Will her eggs get bigger as she matures? And how often will she lay?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    my hen lays about everyother day until; she starts sitting. my eggs are about the size of a banty egg, im sure the first egg will be smaller, but they will get a little bigger.

3. shelleyb1969

Quote:Is it best to let her brood them herself? This egg does look about the size of a very small banty egg. I'm going to open it tonight and check fertility.

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well they can be really hard to hatch, IF i can get mine to set i let her do it if not i do it. Also fertility can be hard to get in calls, to raise fertility give thema big pond of fresh water everyday.

5. shelleyb1969

Quote:Thanks, brooster. [​IMG] 1 more question...how long do you give her to "get broody" before you take her eggs?

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Calls are bantam ducks so her eggs will not get much bigger. I have silky bantam ducks (the size of calls) and mine have never been broody. I have my Muscovies for that! [​IMG]

7. shelleyb1969

Can a broody hen hatch ducks?

Edited to say: a broody BANTAM hen, like a silkie

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    ducks require different incubation times and humidity, im sure it could work, but i let my ducks do it. I let the nest get full of eggs, if she doesnt set within a week i start collecting eggs to set myself

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You can use a silkie hen, but you need to mist the eggs everyday to keep the humidity up, and it is best to move them to a hatcher right before the hatch, as they can get caught in a silkies foot feathers.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just let my call hens do the hatching too. I haven't tried for a long time to incubate them, but never had much luck doing it myself. The hens always have much better luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by