Call duck eggs on thier way!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fleezie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Fleezie

Fleezie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    I am so exited I can hardly see straight!!!!!!! What are your duck hatching tricks?

2. Britt417

Britt417 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm jealous!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Pure luck with Call Ducks. They are some of the hardest eggs to hatch as far as ducks go. Everything can be going perfect into lock down and then nothing, or maybe a HUGE maybe at that 1 or 2 hatch.

Good luck with them, with the temps currently do let let them set when they arrive. Unpack and place into the preheated bator. Do NOT start the turner for the first 48 hours after you set them. This let's the air cells settle but doesn't disrupt any possible development that started during shipping.

4. Fleezie

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    thank you [​IMG]

5. Fleezie

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    I am super disapointed! The air cells are broken and they had an intense smell of cigarettes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Britt417

Britt417 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    That is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you contact the seller? [​IMG]

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    That is awful, the air cells you can't control. It happens sometimes with shipped eggs. The smell however is another story.

8. Fleezie

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    Yes, I contacted the seller and they said that it must have been the postal service. The smell came from the eggs, not the box. It was overwhelming! I hope that ebay will do something as I can not purchase more unless I get my money back to comphensate. [​IMG] [​IMG]:

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, my Calls haven't laid in 2 months!
    Have you let the air cells settle for a day or so to see what happens?
    So sorry this happened-Call eggs are crazy hard to hatch even if you go get them out of a breeding pen on your own place.

10. Fleezie

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    yes, I did, and i don't turn them for the first 24 hours. Can they still hatch with a broken air-cell? I have them upright but have never had a duck egg with a broken aircell hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by