Call duck eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonini3059, Dec 25, 2008.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My husband and I just got into the call ducks. Everyone keeps asking to buy our eggs. We have no idea how to check their fertility rate or how to even package them to ship them. We just bought our first incubator 2 weeks ago and are going to attempt to hatch some ourselves. We have no clue how to do anything with eggs so can someone please help. We don't want to sell bad eggs or package them wrong if we do decide to sell.
    Thanks,
    B&B

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Wow, welcome to the world of calls! They are the cutest ducks to ever walk the face of the earth!! On the downside, call eggs can be very difficult to hatch [​IMG]

I will try to find you links to help out. There are many sites about call duck incubation techniques, and ways to help the ducklings if they have a tough time hatching. Some people think you should not help a call baby hatch, but I disagree. I am sure you will want to help your baby hatch if they need assistance, so here goes....

What kind of incubator do you have? Some are better than others. I have a little giant styrofoam one, with a fan installed. NO egg turners are used with my duck eggs--I turn by hand, every day for a month! It's a huge commitment, but if you get just one baby, you will know it was worth all the hard work!

Anyways, back to the incubator. I also have an expensive one that holds only 3 eggs, but it keeps the temp and humidity at a constant. The styrofoam incubator is a lot less reliable. However, it is possible to hatch calls out of a styrofoam one, it is just my experience that I hatch fewer babies. Even with the expenisive incubator, I still have a low hatch rate.

Whatever incubator you have, get several thermometers and put them inside. All thermometers are off a bit, so you will need a few. Also, a humidity gauge is helpful too. Some people like to spray their eggs every day, to imitate the mother duck going out for a swim and returning, all wet. I have tried that method.

Another tip, I have tried, is to let the eggs cool for about 10 minutes each day. That also imitates the mother duck going off the nest for a bit.

I have not noticed a rise or fall in my hatch rate when I tried these tips, but you can always experimet and see what works best for you. Everybody will have different techniques!

So be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best! I will find a few good links for you, and also, if you need to learn how to help a call duck out of the egg (if he needs help) I can tell you how to do that too. All of the calls I hatched, I helped out of the shell as a precautionary measure. They grew up to be normal, extremely healthy ducks. Helping a call hatch does not make it weak for life, or harm it in any way. Some folks would never help their babies hatch, but for those of us who only get a few precious eggs a year, we cannot afford to lose the babies if they cannot make it out by themselves.

Ok, I will dig up those links for you, probably by this weekend. I encourage you to try your hand at hatching call ducks. If you raise a duckling from an egg, it will think of you as "mommy" and will make a wonderful loving pet for years to come!

3. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks so much!! I have a hovabator genesis 1588 With the automatic turner. We stuck 12 eggs in and we only have 3 that are growing. We could see the one little guys heart beating last night when we candled it. It was so amazing looking. i heard it is best to wait until they are a week into development to take them out of the incubator is that true?

4. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    What do call ducks look like, We have pekins and one lone muscovey with angel wing, he was a rescue

5. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:These are some of mine. They are such cute little ducks.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    I would wait until around March to start checking fertile eggs..there is really not much of chance your eggs will be any good until you start getting long sunny days. Try to keep your protien level down on the duck food until then, that will limit the egg laying for awhile..then in March kick the protien up to around 18-20 percent protein...that will get them going. Also give plenty of fresh clean swimming water every day that will help with the fertility.

Jerry

8. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Oh and by the way...nice snowy drake Katy.

9. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I have lights on them so I am not sure if that could be a reason.

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Lights will have an affect on them laying. Where are calls are is very cold and we have 1 heat lamp in the corner I think that is enough to keep them laying, of course since it has dropped down into the frigid temps, they have stopped to once in a while.

Great info on this thread! Thanks everyone.

By the way, why do you not put duck eggs in a turner. Everyone keeps saying that but no explanation as to why or why not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by