1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

call duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Picco, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Are call duck eggs really that hard to incubate? I have seen several websites claiming this and it worries me. I plan on ordering some hatching eggs but now I'm wondering if I should. Also are they seasonal layers? I like to hatch all by birds in May and June so its warmer for them and easier for me since I will be home - will eggs be available at this time?

If anyone breeds calls in NY between Rochester and Albany let me know, I would like to buy ducklings if possible.

2. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Hey picco i don't breed them between Rochester and Albany but i do breed them on the border of Hoosic Ny and Vermont i have 2 different breeds of calls right now first i have whites as to which i have 7 duckling about 3 weeks old and i have blacks i i only have 3 duckling of theres and they are almost 6 weeks old

3. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'm really close I live in southern Washington county I'd really like to get a few calls in May or June. Where did you get yours?

4. Orpingtonlover

Apr 10, 2007
    I have mature calls and they hatched i have had them several years my dad gave me 3 of them 5 years ago and i just went from there so the ducklings i have here where hatched here.

5. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If your ducks are still laying in May I would buy some eggs if you are willing to sell. Are they really difficult to hatch? I have heard there are fertility issues as well as incubating issues but I'm not really sure.

6. Orpingtonlover

Apr 10, 2007
    To tell you the truth in 5 years i have had several sets hatch out and i have never had a problem key is to always have the drake be younger then the hen which seems weird but its honestly the truth i can Promise 100% Fertility on my call eggs and they should still be laying them make me an offer i don't really want to hatch anymore this year anyway.

Ashley

7. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I don't have a clue what a good offer would be. I only live about 35 minutes away so they won't need to be shipped. I will contact you sometime next month when I'm ready. I would prefer to wait until by bantam cochin hen goes broody since she does a much better job at incubating. She works like clock work so it should be sometime in the middle of May, if not I'll fire up the incubator. Thanks alot!

8. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    OMG, I won 7 call duck eggs on saturday & then found out they need to be hand turned and are hard to hatch too....help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by