Call duck emergency; Minor blow-out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmart009, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    One of my call ducks, snow, seems to have a blow-out. I'm not sure what the correct term for it is, but part of her bottom end is out farther than normal, is bleeding slightly, and is coated in her excretions.

The only reason I call it a "blow-out", is that since I work on a duck farm, we have ducks every now and then who seem to "blow-out" their insides. We're not sure what causes this, other than maybe them laying too large of an egg, and part of their insides end up on the outside, primarily their bladder(?) and abdominal organs/muscles.

Is there anything I can do? We have no vets in the area that can work with ducks; Frankly, I know of no place that can work with my ducks if they ever got sick or torn up. I'm at a loss. My Pekin girl, Biscuit, died earlier this fall, and I really can't look forward to another one of my ducky children dying.

Please help me.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its called a prolapse and can be difficult to treat. It can re- occur a number of times after initial treatment.
    If she is currently laying she needs to be isolated and put in a darkened area to try to stop her from continuing to lay. The vent needs to be cleaned thoroughly and using gloves and some sort of lubricant- the protruding tissue needs to be pushed carefully back onto place. Risk of infection is high- antibiotics may be required.

3. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you very much. I'll be going out shortly to work on her.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Best of luck...Its not for the faint hearted thats for sure- But when there is no vet available- as pet owners- we have to get our hands dirty too. I have been lucky and never encountered it in any of my own flock. But I did have to go help out a friend one day when it happened. I hope she isnt one of the ones the relapses- and you only have to do this once. But you will have to watch her carefully in the future.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Not a good thing to have. I just like to add a diet high in protein is directly linked to extra large eggs and double yolkers. I would recommend to reduce the protein down to 14%. That is lower then the 17% normally being given. That may also stop her from laying eggs, which may be a good thing for now. Good luck with your duck.

6. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Ugh, poor duckie and you. Just offering some moral support. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by