1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck Enclosure

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NoseyChickens, Dec 12, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    We got our first call ducks at the Victorville Poultry Show earlier this month. We have runners and they just roam the property and get locked in thier house at night. But these little guys needed thier own space. So I whipped this up ALONE in 2 days. (DH is on Toys For Tots duty at work, we'll see him again after the holidays!) So here it is

I started with the sides of some wooden shipping crates and formed the base 7x7 feet
    [​IMG]

Framed it out
    [​IMG]

Covered it in wire mesh and shade cloth on the top
    [​IMG]

Added a tiny pond
    [​IMG]

and then the ducks!
    [​IMG]

There is a little house for them to go into, but I have not really seen them use it. But, they love the pond. Is it big enough? Do they need anything else? they seem to be doing well.

2. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Awesome job. [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thank you so much!

4. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    Great job, my husband made me a little pond like that, but I had to bale it and it killed my back, then if I over ran it the pump ran, bought a portable pump, but took so long, a BYC'er on here gave me a great idea she did, she placed a wanted Adv. for free jazzui, and made her's pond out of them, ain't that smart, I am currently going to try and find me some unwanted ones.

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes we need to build a large pond for our runner ducks. We would like to do something nice in the backyard maybe with a little stream. This little pond is so tiny I can just drain it with a hose ( you know just like you would a fish tank?). For a bigger pond, I would want a drain and possibly a pump system.

6. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by