1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

call duck hatch HELP *pics added*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sunket77, May 8, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok I posted this in the chick side also so hopefully I don't get in trouble but I am looking for help. I have a pip for the first time ever and I am super excited!! one is piped and the other is tapping inside the egg they are under my broody hen. It has been about 6 hours and the pipped egg peeps occasionally not near as often as chicks. Do they need help? The egg with no pip has been tapping all day. I can not just let them die this is the second season we have tried for to hatch and this the closest we have come, they are black calls, they are from my daughters pair and we have tried incubation and broody hens and this is the first time we have come this far! THANKS!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    anyone?

3. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    Go to sundown silkies web page and follow her instructions on hatching I had 15 call duck eggs under a chicken and I watched them,candled them on day 26 and had to help them all out ,they were too dry because I didnt know I should have misted them under a chicken,.I got all 15 out but she stood on 4 ,she is a B.O. and was just too big for them ,one other died but I have 10 lovely ducklings and I would of had none if I hadnt helped, good luck with them [​IMG]:fl [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh thank you! I just helped one and it finally got out! I used a wet q-tip and warm water it was most definitely stuck! AND I just discovered that my broody has acquired mites somehow!! I was almost certain I sprayed her with poultry protector. But I took the duckling and put it in a brooder to keep it warm hopefully it won't have mites [​IMG] I swear! it's one thing after another!

5. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    It takes 24 hours for the duck to fully absorb the yolk, so be very careful with your 'helping'. My call that hatched out took a full day and a half to hatch, and spent a lot of that time with just a pipped shell.... and this was a call from sundown silkies too.

Good luck! Post pics when you can!

6. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    How many do you have? Are they under a chicken or duck? If you follow what sundown silkies says to do and stick to her guide lines about how long to leave them at each stage you should do ok ,keep us posted with any progress

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    OK! we now have them out successfully! no blood ...man they were sticky! so yeah they needed help. I had them under a broody hen a silkie/cochin cross and I didn't know I had to spray them under a hen either so thanks soo much and I am going to have to thank sundown silkies as well! We had quite a surprise when we got the end of the second egg off the chick was YELLOW! with orange beak and legs...HOW??? we only have the one pair of black calls! Also on a side note...has anyone experienced a duckling pooping while still in the shell? the last one had green poop stuck to it's little bottom like under it's tail no doubt it came from it's vent, not typical stuff in a hatched egg. I hope it's ok, I know if a baby human does that in the womb it's not a good thing, means they where in to long!

So here they are Yin and Yang!

[​IMG]

8. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I will post more pics when they are finished fluffing out! [​IMG]

9. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok here they are all fluffy so cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, they're so cute! I'm glad they hatched out OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by