1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck hatching need ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bryam, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Hello!
    So I am on day 26 and 8 hours and 2 out of the 4 call duck eggs hatched. The first one hatched 12 hours ago, the second one hatched 4 hours ago. The third egg just pipped and the fourth egg hasn't pipped, but when I candle it, I can see it tapping on the shell with its beak. That duckling has been taping for over 1 day now. When should I help? I do feel like giving them more time, but how much more time?

Looking forward to some hatching advice!

Sleepy DUCK DAD! Signing off!;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Okay! Thanks! I will wait till tonight, day 27 before I intervien.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Do you have a safe HOLE? First re candle the eggs, Candle both eggs, exspecially the smaller end, What you are looking for is ANY empty spacing. If theres empty space then you have to make adjustments to the bator. Let me know and I can help the rest of the way..

5. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    m

Yes, I candled the eggs this morning! They have both internally pipped. One externally pipped, while the other is tapping at the she, but still no external pip. I didn't make a safe hole for that one. Should I? Is it possible that between the first hatch and the last could be 24 hours?

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    are you keeping the ones that are out in with him?

7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    No, the 2 ducklings that hatched I removed and they are in a brooder. They are eating and drinking already!

No, the 2 ducklings that hatched I removed and they are in a brooder. They are eating and drinking already!

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OK, keep them newbees in there for at least 24 hours, the reason why is because they will Inspire your late commers. it's kind of like a dominos affect.

When you candled did you candle both ends and is there any empty spacing?

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Give your late commer 24 hours from internal to external. After that make him a safe hole..

I'm wondering if you have hot spots in the bator. meaning certain spots have the right temp and other spots have a lower temp reading. sounds weird but could be a thought.

10. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008

Hey!
    No I candled both ends, it is completly black! I have a 1588 Gensis forced air incubator. So I don't have hot spots. I think I will make a safe hole for the one that hasn't pipped yet! It has been 36 hours since it internally pipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by