Call Duck hen doesn't lay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CoopedChik, Dec 14, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    My call duck girl is about a year old and she only lays when she's scared. I want her to start laying so I can hatch some babies from her. She's not a perfect call duck, not show quality, just very pretty. Not an extremely small female either so that shouldn't be the problem iether.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Not the right time of year for Calls to lay regularly. Their breeding season is usually about Feb - June, at least that's what it is here, don't know if it's different in different climates.... [​IMG]

3. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:x2 it will be a few months yet before they start .I am waiting on mine also ,just can't wait to start hatching out some babies.I love my Calls

4. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    But the problem is my never laid over the summer either

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:But if she's just a year old, she wasn't old enough to lay during their "season" this year. You are sure she's a girl, yes? Oh nevermind, you did say she has laid occasionally...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

My female calls never lay until they are 1 yr old - and they only lay in the spring. They lay seasonally and are not like some of the "layer" ducks (Runners,Campbells)

7. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:But if she's just a year old, she wasn't old enough to lay during their "season" this year. You are sure she's a girl, yes? Oh nevermind, you did say she has laid occasionally...

Yes I am defiantly sure she's a girl lol. oddly though the drake I bought to be her mate hasn't seemed to make any ducky advances on her and on her and I do know he is a male, curly tail and all that.

8. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:So maybe when I bought i last spring the owners may have told me the wrong age I'm starting to think she may have only been around 6monthes or so...

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    yes call ducks only lay in springtime and early summer, give it time you will see eggs every other day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by