1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call duck hen with prolapse/slight hemmorhage

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Funniducki1, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Hello Everyone,

Over the winter I had started noticing our one older female Call with a dirty bottom. I would wash her off, and all seemed OK, but she would get dirty again.
    Yesterday, I noticed blood on her bottom. I picked her up, and she has part of the inside (maybe oviduct) sticking on the outside. I later found her mishapen egg in the pen with blood on it, I am wondering if it was a little soft (tho it was hard when I went to pick it up). I believe it was her first egg of the season.

We washed her up really good with warm soapy water on the bottom and I made an herbal compress which I applied to it, but after a few minutes it had all fallen off. Next I put some salve on it.

Today I am putting the oyster shell back out there. Maybe she's calcium deficient? She seems to have had this problem before, and with time and TLC, she healed, tho she seems prone to this. I think she's about 5.
    She's on Purina Layena pellets and get free range time about half the week.

What else can I do? She is a treasured pet and I just want to make her comfortable & happy. If I could get her to stop ever producing eggs again that would be fabulous, but I don't want to keep her separated from the rest of the flock permanently.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Dani

2. Funniducki1

Jan 16, 2011
    I forgot to note that only about 1/2 inside of the inside is prolapsed out.

3. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Praying she gets better!

4. polish15

polish15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    MD
    There may be nothing else you can do at this point. I think prolapses can be genetically inherited. Hope she gets better.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd try to keep it moist you don't want it to dry out. use vaseline or honey and apply it to the prolaspe and try to gently push it back in. also prep H works good to help with swelling. keeping her in a darkened room by herself may keep her from laying an egg until she heals. I have 3 Muscovy ducks that are to be 8 this year and I don't think they are laying so maybe menopause has finally come for them. I sure hope she gets well.

6. Funniducki1

Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks guys. It seems to be getting better, slowly...day by day.

Prevention? As of the past two years, my ducks never got this! What in the world is going on? One time a breeder found out his whole flock (both drakes and ducks) had prolaspse-it was a fungal infection, transferred from male to female-like a STD.

Nutrition? Weather? Production...I know this has some influence on it. But why didn't I see if for 9 years and then all of the sudden am starting to? Same cage, same feed.

Weird...and disheartening.

My Lydia, that's great you have a old duckies too :). I have a old pair that's 11 this spring. They are so special. A white runner drake who is life-long mated to Ping, the saxony/runner cross. She is brown, but gets more white every year with age, as is the saxony duck trait. It's adorable.
    And, we just found her hidden nest of eggs the other day! Can't believe she has any egg zygotes left in her.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am happy to hear she is getting better, what all have you been doing? maybe you can give some pointers to Ducky Gurl she posted this morning her hen has a prolaspe. maybe you can look at her post. [​IMG] as for whats going on I don't know unless when they are things just don't stay where their suppose to just like us humans. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by