Call duck ill??? ***HELP***

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sonew123, Sep 6, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi guys,

My baby call duck seems to be ill. He is 3 1/2 months old

Background-I had to help him hatch out as he was 4 days overdue and the first week was VERY touch and go. Lots of vitamins-hand feeding and watering-very unstable I had to pick him up to eat and drink -could not stand. He made a full recovery until now?? He was great yesterday flying over my property with his 2 buddies. Then this afternoon-I watched him acting very strange. I picked him up and put him in a huge bin of water to watch him-he just sat in the water-( couldnt touch bottom) but didnt move anything-his head was slowly falling down towards water as if he was falling alseep...So I took him out and put some wet food down for him-nothing-he did sip and I do mean tiny sip some water. but thats it..He follows his buddies around and that is where I left him-I tried to take him into the house but he was so upset I out him back with them. In the mean time Im trying to find duck diseases on here and not havng much luck But Ill keep looking-thought I would post on here and then keep looking. He sounds clogged up to through his nostrils-like he quacked and breathed in but it was muffled breathing not girgly. no sneezing raspy chest nothing??

ANyone?? My Dh and I just built beautiful pens to put breeding pairs of chickens 8 x 4 but I think tomorrow Im going to put him in there with his buddies and vitamin water and wet mash for him???

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I really don't know what could be wrong- but I wanted to say I hope that he is back to his normal self this morning.
    Good luck.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It could be a nutritional deficiency (I have one with one of my calls). Niacin probably. Ducks need this. I would keep it indoors, warm and rested and give lots of vitamins and yummy treats. I chop up tomatoes and put vitamins in them and my calls gobble them up. I use infant Polyvisol (without iron) and an all purpose bird vitamin. I get both at Walmart. The bird vitamins are in the pet dept and are very cheap. Another good source of niacin is crushed brewers yeast tablets in their treats.

My call is about a year old and she would scoot around on her chest just to stand up. She seemed very weak most of the time. The owner of the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue (awesome place) suggested the bird vitamins. I have been doing this at least once a week and she seems like a new duck. I also mix the vitamins in thawed peas and they love those too.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    thank you-I put him in the bathroom in the tub:) We dont not ever use the tub ( we are on ond water so I really dont want to see a tub full of pond water to bath in) shower water hides it..lol anyhoo "Muffin" has a warm blankie-a teddy bear. crumbles-water with polyvisol-no iron-and peas in that mix too. If he doesnt eat tonight its war tomorrow because I cant watch him widdle away-hes my baby...Oh and I made a mix of Oxine and misted him with it. He sounds plugged up and looks like hes having a hard time drawing a breath in-no gurgling or rattle though-I just want to see him stick his beak under water and blow it would do him alot of good and me too:)

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Can you see anything in his nostrils? Can you clear them with tweezers? I have heard of ducks getting things wedged in their nostrils because of all the dabbling they do. Might be worth a look.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Ill have to check tonight-I misted him with oxine again in his nostrils -which are so tiny Ill have to get out my head light to look:-( No different this am all though I did notice a tiny bit of crumbles gone this am:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by