1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck Leg Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joyce5430, Jul 21, 2011.

1. joyce5430

joyce5430 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi!

This is my first post on here. I'm hoping someone can help. I have a hen and drake Call duck pair. I've had them for 2 1/2 years now. Last year Mama laid her 1st clutch of eggs. This year, her second. They were 6 months old when I got them. She must be a happy hen because, despite what I've heard, I've never had a problem with her laying eggs or incubating them. [​IMG]

Last year she had 9 ducklings. Eight were healthy. One was born with it's legs sticking straight out the back. It couldn't walk, sit, etc. I named it Baby. I wasn't sure of the sex. I took Baby to a local avian vet who said he's never seen this before. Between the two of us, we rigged up a tiny harness to keep Baby's legs in their proper position. He/she was actually doing really well until I had to go out of town for a couple of days on a pre-arranged trip. I seriously thought about trying to smuggle it on the plane in my bra, but I couldn't risk getting thrown off! LOL I reluctantly had to leave Baby with a trusted friend. To this day, not sure what happened, but Baby died while I was gone. [​IMG]

Ok, so, Mama duck just had her second batch. Eight babies healthy (again), but this time, two born with leg issues. Their little legs seem to want to go straight out the back. One is the same as Baby was, the other one is a little bit better. It can at least sit on it's own, but cannot walk. I've named them Puddles & Splash. They were born July 19-20. She had part of the clutch on the 19th (6) and the other four hatched during the night. No, I will not cull them. If this turns out to be a bad deal, they will be humanely euthanized, but until then I'm going to give them EVERY chance I possibly can.[​IMG] I pack them around in a washcloth in my bra while doing chores. They seem to like that. I brought them to work with me today. I have a dishpan with towels and a heating pad in it. I took some small, I mean SMALL, round tupperware containers and cut the bottoms out. I put a washcloth in there and sit them upright in it with their legs underneath them. It keeps them in a good position to eat and drink. This weekend I will be busy rigging up TWO tiny harnesses. I have the bottom of a plastic storage box to use for them to swim in for short periods of time. I thought that might help their leg strength. Of course, I will be right there helping them.

What I want to know is this:::::has anyone else that breeds/raises Call ducks run into this problem? If you have, what did you do? What was the outcome? Needless to say, I will be pulling her eggs next year as soon as she lays them. There's obviously a genetic problem. [​IMG]

If anyone has any feedback, advice, ANYTHING.....PLEASE let me know. I'd appreciate anything I can do to help them along.

Thanks!
    Joyce

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    First off- you may want to post this in the duck section. I'm sure those knowledgeable folks can give lots of good hints. I don't have any ducks, but I do have some geese. In my research before we got them, I read waterfowl can have leg issues if they don't get enough niacin (sp?). But since you've had babies from 2 seperate hatches I'm going with a genetic defect. I think you're probably doing everything you can to help them, but the duck people might be able to give more suggestions. You could add another hen and see if the problem persists, but then you could end up with more special needs ducklings. I think collecting the eggs and using them in your kitchen is the way to go. Good luck- I had a gosling I carried around in my bra for a while. He was an absolute sweetheart [​IMG]

3. joyce5430

Jul 20, 2011
    How do I repost this in the duck section?

4. joyce5430

Jul 20, 2011
    I figured it out! Thanks for your help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by