Call duck limping :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, Oct 27, 2011.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi guys, I went out to put my ducks in and I noticed my little silver call duck laying down and she was having a hard time getting up. I brought her in and it appears that one of her little nails was ripped off and it is bloody. I'm going to wash it off and put some antibiotic cream on it then keep her in a dry, warm place and allow her to swim in some lukewarm clean water every so often. Any tips or some advice would be really helpful. Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any guesses what happened? Did something grab her by the toe and she escaped? Or did she catch her toe in something and pull her own leg too hard?

I'd be checking up her leg and looking for any other injuries, keep her inside warm and (relatively) clean, let her swim in lukewarm water for quite a while - deep enough to float in, give her vitamins/electrolytes, as well as the treatment of the toe.

Poor thing.

[​IMG]

Hope you both feel better right away.

Oh, and don't forget the treats and pampering.

3. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] I think that she or one of the other calls may have done something which caused her to get hurt. I've been busy all day (she was fine in the morning) and I went to put the ducks inside for the night is when I saw her. What can I give her for vitamins/electrolytes without going to the store because there is no one that can drive me at the moment. Again thanks [​IMG] I just worry so much about my duckies.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have any pedialyte? Apple cider vinegar - a tablespoon in a gallon of water - is often used as a tonic.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:I did not think of that, but I will give her a little apple cider vinegar with her water (there's plenty of vinegar around my house [​IMG])

6. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Today I looked inside her box to change her water and she ripped half off her quick off. [​IMG] I blotted it with a paper towel, let her soak for a minute to clean it, blotted it again and when it stopped bleeding I put some Neosporin on. Poor little Luna has the worst of luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I am sorry to hear Luna is havng some problems. I hope she heals quickly. [​IMG]

8. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:I am sorry to hear Luna is havng some problems. I hope she heals quickly. [​IMG]

Thanks, she is doing much better and she should be able to go back outside soon as long as nothing else happens (knock on wood [​IMG] .)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

Thanks, she is doing much better and she should be able to go back outside soon as long as nothing else happens (knock on wood [​IMG] .)

Glad to hear it. [​IMG]

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    yowch! poor girl!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by