Call duck looks like it is lacking in good food and overall care

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by riane'smimi, Oct 9, 2011.

1. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I just bought a Call duck that I fell in love with.He is a really sweet little guy. When I bought him he was in a teeny tiny cage packed in tight.I mean packed in tight.He could not move at all.So I failed to see he had angel wing until I got home with him as the seller put him in my carrier.Normally I inspect the bird before I buy, but I just had to have him. Anyway ,his feathers are not shiny but dull ,his skin is peeling on his feet and legs.I had to remove a band from his one leg as it was waaay to tight.
    I am not sorry I bought him but I need some advise on what to feed this little guy to bring his health up before he gets sick with cold weather not far from us.
    There must be something I can feed him that would boost his apperance and perk him up. I was thinking maybe tuna fish would help but not sure because of the angel wing.

2. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    just feed him whatever regular feed you were planning.... but let him have as much as he wants. I don't think you can do anything about angel wing if the duck is an adult already, maybe someone else has info on this. I think just having more feed and the ability to MOVE and plenty of water will make him do just fine. glad ya got him outta there. Do you have a place for him to swim? The first swim of a caged duck is just amazing, to see their enjoyment.

3. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Thanks for answering. It was amazing to watch him swim!! He took a long time cleaning himself .I sat out there for along time just watching him.I don't think he knows what grass is for yet ,I think it is his first time on the ground.It could be he was over excited by the water to worry about the grass and bugs.
    Karen
    P.S. Do you think the shine will return to his feathers soon or will it take time?

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    If he's just dirty, a few baths will help a lot. If his feathers are old and damaged, he may need to molt to get really pretty again. If he molts add some rolled oats to his ration, they seem to promote good feathers.

How old is he?

It is also possible that he's starting a molt (since his feather seem old and dry) and what looks like Angel wing is actually the wing feathers coming loose for molting. I often get floppy wing feathers during molt, so don't panic yet!

5. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:I didn't think of molt.Could be he is as the feathers on his head look really ratty and some are loose and sticking out.I haven't had ducks very long so I need to learn more about them.
    His feathers do look old and dry.I will add rolled oats to his food.I really like this little guy.He walks right up to me to be picked up [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Karen

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    riane'smimi :

Quote:I didn't think of molt.Could be he is as the feathers on his head look really ratty and some are loose and sticking out.I haven't had ducks very long so I need to learn more about them.
    His feathers do look old and dry.I will add rolled oats to his food.I really like this little guy.He walks right up to me to be picked up [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Karen

How sweet so glad you were able to get him, some people just don't know how to take care of animals [​IMG] Sounds like he will have a wonderful life with you. Get Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderrand it is the best for information. All the best!​

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I would put him on what ever you normally feed your ducks. I usuallly use mazuri. It has helped improve all kinds of ducks for me!
    By the time he finishes his next molt you should have a happy healthy looking drake.

If you want to want to go above and beyond you can either add some Poly-Vi-Sol drops to his water, or give him a handful of cat food mixed with his feed along with a tablespoon of cider vinegar (I like Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar) added to his water.

Good luck

Emily

8. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I gave him a bath today in the tub. He loved it [​IMG] . He stayed in there for over half an hour playing after I drained the water and added fresh .I used baby shampoo on him and boy was he filthy .He is like a new duck tonight [​IMG]
    Started the oats and catfood today .He turned his nose up to it ,but I am still going to keep offering it to him as I think sooner or later he will try it.The catfood was can so maybe I should switch and give him dry cat food. I named him Jack. He is such a sweetie .I really hope it's molt .Is it normal for the skin on the legs to peel during molt?
    I will pick up the vitamins tomorrow along with the apple cider vineger. Thanks everybody ,we will have him back in shape in no time [​IMG].I will try and post a picture of him tomorrow
    karen

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He will probably like dry better. Rose-Comb Ryan who shows Muscovies, said that a breeder told him to feed Purina Puppy food to his ducks just a top dressing, especially during molt because it's high in protein. And thats what feathers are made of. My chickens and ducks like it pretty good.

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Purina flock raiser makes my ducks fat, so maybe that if he needs to put on weight. When my calls are breeding I chop up hard boiled eggs, mix them with rolled oats, cat food, green leaf lettuce and fish oil. That might help him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by