Call Duck Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adorable, Jan 6, 2011.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Sorry guys here i go again. I am still new to ducks. I have lots of call ducks. As i really like them allot. I have about 8 different colors. I dont show . I really like to keep all the ducks together. I have 3 ducks to one drake ratio. When breeding season comes around. I am so excited about. Can i just leave them all in one pen and leave nature takes it course. Or will the drakes fight to much. I really dont care to much about color. I like to be surprise on what i will get. Is this a good idea or not. I have about 40 of them. How many nesting boxes will i need. ?I would love to see some pic of some set up of breeding pens.

2. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ANYONE [​IMG].[​IMG].

3. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I don't know but I can bump lol! I had three call mutt girls for a year and have just introduced a little call mutt boy. And man do they hate him lol! He is having to work to gain their trust. One duck down, two to go, but he is a little sweetie, I'm sure he'll win them over. Plus there is chasing going on but no real biting or anything serious.
    Maybe someone with way more experience than me can help you though. In the meantime, they are just too cute aren't they? They are the noisiest, bossiest little tiny people in the whole world! I can't tell you how much I love them, they are my little angels!!

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks for that. You made me laugh...I am sure the boy will win all the girls over. THey are my favorite.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

7. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    here are some of ours, but if you are doing a flock pen they do good on the ground. You can get that netting to cover the pen so they don't fly out and it keeps the hawks out too. You can also build a big dog house to lock them in at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Special Agent Husak

Special Agent Husak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    South West Michigan
    I've got 30 calls all running together on the ground in a huge covered pen. Once they've established who the "big cheese's" are, than the fighting stops. In the spring I sometimes seperate out into colors just because, but in the winter they all have to live together. The biggest thing I've found is that they do a lot better on the ground, and with a good source of water. I have at least 6 kiddie pools going in the summer time for them.

There is a call duck color calculater on the web. As soon as I find it, I'll post it. It tells what all the percentages are of the possible colors you will get when mixing colors. Very cool.[​IMG]

9. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks. I am looking forward to that. Nice pic Turbo

10. Special Agent Husak

Special Agent Husak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    South West Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by