1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call duck sex change?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crickett, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I had to go out of state for three days. When I left my call ducks were, I thought, two females. When I got back, I went out to feed everyone, let them all know that I hadn't expired, etc. and I noticed that one of my "female" call ducks now had male plumage! I looked a bit closer and sure enough he had the drake curl as well! So now I have a male and a female! [​IMG]

I'm so happy! [​IMG] About how old will they be before I can expect any babies? I figure maybe this time next year? Or possibly a bit later?

BTW, I saw these names on here and LOVED them, so since they didn't have names before, they are now Gomez and Morticia! [​IMG]

2. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Haha congrats! He must not have molted into his manly plumage before you left just quite yet. I'd love to see pics! How old are they? You can have ducklings as soon as she starts laying if you incubate them. I'm not sure how broody calls are... I want some pictures please!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Great News! Hope you have babies next spring. My Calls must be about the same age. Thought I had 3 boys and 3 girls BUT i have 2 girls and 4 boys. I am going to seperate them and put One male in with the two females and give the boys their own pen.

Hoping to hatch in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by