Call duck sneezy and very high pitch quack!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jkah37, Apr 25, 2018.

1. jkah37

jkah37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016
    Gloversville
    Hello! Last night I went out and checked on my calls. They were all ok but seemed stressed (hence the reason I went out and checked on them after already being in bed). All were fine and sounding normal.
    My one female call has been a little sneezy but nothing to crazy. This morning I went out to check on them give them fresh food and water and she no longer has a "quack" it's a very high pitch squeal. Almost sounds as if she strained her trachea from quacking too much. She's the smallest of my bunch but one of the loudest. I hope she will be ok. I put acv in their water this morning. And I have de wormer at home as well. Please HELP! I don't want her to be sick and pass away!

2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana True BYC Addict

Sep 2, 2017
    How’s she acting? Is she eating and drinking?

jkah37 likes this.
  3. jkah37

Nov 7, 2016
    Gloversville
    Yes, she is acting totally normal, eating, drinking, loving the rain we are having here today. No sign of any other issues besides the quack.

4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana True BYC Addict

Sep 2, 2017
    I believe @onaharley has this issue too. I’m wondering if ducks can have seasonal allergies. I know lots of animals do, but I’m not sure about ducks.

onaharley likes this.
  5. jkah37

Nov 7, 2016
    Gloversville
    Maybe so, I literally just did a full and very thorough cleaning of the inside and outside of their coop. Maybe it kicked up dust/dirt/mold something that triggered it. Hopefully someone will know for sure and be able to help out. She has quite the personality and that has not changed. They free range when I am home and are in their outdoor enclosure when I'm not. I just put Fresh water in their pool on monday.

onaharley likes this.
  6. onaharley

onaharley Overrun With Chickens

Hi there!!! Yes I am having the same problem, yesterday was cold raining and just miserable. Today is sunny and 60, so when i get home i will check the breathing (@CayugaJana .....and the weighing i was suppose to do yesterday) and check back in!

CayugaJana and jkah37 like this.
  7. jkah37

Nov 7, 2016
    Gloversville
    I tried recording her, but it was down pouring and she didn't quack as I was leaving. Her weight has not changed, and nothing else is different. The last 4 days have been beautiful 60° weather and today is 40s and pouring. I'm praying it's weather/allergy related! Please keep me updated, praying for your little ones as Well!

onaharley and CayugaJana like this.
  8. onaharley

So my Pekin is sounding really raspy. I got ahold of him and he almost sounded like he had a a weezey noise coming from his chest.... but idk. He moves with great ease and eat and drinks just fine.... i might call the vet tomorrow to what they say....I think that it is a combo of it being a boy and just being removed from inside to the outdoors...

CayugaJana and jkah37 like this.
  9. jkah37

Nov 7, 2016
    Gloversville
    It's a very short clip but this is what she sounds like!

20180425_160248.mp4

That's how my call is, not really raspy though. Very high pitch like her "quacker" is gone. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what your vet says before I decide to use Dewormer, I would greatly appreciate it!

onaharley likes this.
  10. onaharley

Not sure about this clip...but I can’t hear or load it. If you do a video you have to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo 1st, once uploaded copy the link and paste it to your reply.

jkah37 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by