Call duck wing tips sticking out

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdsanctuary, Mar 6, 2014.

1. birdsanctuary

birdsanctuary Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Paris Ontario Canada
    I have this one young call duck about 8 weeks old and is feathering out. But I have noticed that she is acting like her wing tips are heavy and they stick out from her side . I am wondering if this is because her secondary feathers are not big enough to hold her tips in or should I try to correct it buy taping them in or would it correct on its own ?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    try cliping them but dont clip to close as she will bleed alot and you will have to pull out that feather

3. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Looks like angel wing. If you do a search for that term, you will probably find lots and lots of information. Good luck!!

4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    If it is angle wing, that means she has too much protein in her diet. What are you feeding her?

5. birdsanctuary

Dec 31, 2013
    Paris Ontario Canada
    We are feeding her mixed grains mixed with duck developer !

6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    How much protien is in the duck developer? How old is she?

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    She looks to me like she is ready to be dropped back to a Maintenance Feed.
    =16-18%.

Do a Search for Celtic Oaks's post "Angel Wing and How we Wrap it". That will show you with pics how she has straightened that out. Wonderful post there.

8. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    How is your duck??

9. birdsanctuary

Dec 31, 2013
    Paris Ontario Canada
    She is doing ok. I couldn't wrap her wings as she was with her parents and other birds. But I will keep an eye on her for when she starts to molt out to see if it changes if not I will wrap her wings until she finishes molting !

10. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi, I would just wrap one wing for 3-6 days, and when you wrap one side you just put the tape under the other wing you are not treating this way you don't have to move her from the others and she wont feel like she is off balance. it will work well, then after the 3-6 days treat the other wing.....I had one recently with angel wing and this worked and corrected the problem. After 3 days I took the tape off as gentle as possible and used scissors to help...I put her in the water for a swim to calm her and let her have some time without the tape and then let her dry a bit and the re tapped for a further 3 days..All is Perfect and corrected....I did not have to move her as she coped really well with just the one wing being treated at a time. it certainly looks to be angel wing and you shouldn't wait and see, you need to treat other wise it is disfiguring to the duck and cant be corrected if not treated ASAP.

Good Luck and give this a go , one wing at a time, you will be amazed at how quick it works! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by