Call Duck....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pebbles99, Sep 17, 2016.

1. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello,
    So I have somewhat of a dilemma with my little duck herd. I have five ducks: a mallard pair, muscovy pair, and one lone female call duck. Yes, one lone call duck. It is a long story as to how I got that little one in my group, but she has REALLY grown on me [​IMG]My muscovy and mallards all get along very well with her, but my question is: Will my male mallard and male muscovy leave her alone when it comes to mating or will they try to mate and squish her in the process??? I care a lot for her safety and don't want her to get injured.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    (I will post a picture of her soon because I have read many threads where y'all want to see pics [​IMG] )

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    If your Muscovy drake is anything at all like mine, he will definitely mate her. I had to get rid of my Muscovy drake because he was a giant duck and boy did he like the girls.

3. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    I have heard male muscovy drakes can be pretty aggressive. My male only has one female to mate with (Muscovy hens are hard to come by where I live) and he is very good to her. My muscovy male has tried to mate with the female mallard before, but my male mallard showed him who was boss [​IMG] If I bought a male call duck do you think my male muscovy may leave my female call alone because she has a mate???

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I think it would depend on the personality of the male call duck that you got. Since your Mallard drake stood up to your Muscovy drake, he leaves your female mallard alone; but if the male call duck got scared off, then the Muscovy drake might mate your female call duck. That's what happened to my ducks, anyway. The Indian Runner drakes would flee in terror from the Muscovy, and then he'd mate all the girls while the Runner drakes hid. Then again, my Muscovy drake was pretty aggressive and liked picking fights with the other drakes, and it doesn't sound like yours is like that.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a little white Call Duck hen who is two years old and a Mallard Call Drake, that is six months old...They both live with my Welsh Drake a Buff hen and a Pekin/Buff cross hen...Sadly I am making a hard choice and will only keep one Drake...My Welsh successfully breeds my Call hen without any issues..She has never been injured by him at all...My Call Drake only breeds my Welsh Drake....Not cute at all.....

Cheers!

6. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for the info! I never thought of my muscovy male possibly scaring my male call off. I let them free range during the day and put them in a large pen at night and nothing has happened yet. I was thinking of making a small wooden hut that would just fit her, so then if my male muscovy does try to mate her, she has a place to run and hide. Do you think that could work???
    Thank you very much for the info and help! [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not sure if this will work for you but it has here. I have 1 Muscovy drake and he has 4 Muscovy females then I have 2 Buff females and 6 female Runners and 2 Runner drakes my Muscovy drake doesn't pay any attention to any of the other females but the scovy's my 2 Runner drakes think anything is fair game. I was actually surprised by my scovy drakes attitude towards the other females but he just isn't interested. Maybe having 4 females of his own is enough.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    That is very interesting Miss Lydia! I just bought my muscovy drake a couple weeks ago for my hen and they both are still getting used to each other. My hen just doesn't seem interested in him, which is why I am scared he may go after my call. I also just found out my mallards are both boys (makes sense since I have never actually seen them mate) and now they are both going after my scovy hen [​IMG]since my hen has grown up with the mallards, she is fine with them mating her. If my male scovy even tries to mate my scovy hen, she screams bloody murder and about kills herself trying to get away. With both mallards being boys, I don't even know what to do at this point. [​IMG] Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What is your drake to duck ratio now? you should have at least 3 or more females for every drake. That way no one gets over mated. It can still happen if one female becomes IT but the females have a much better chance of keeping their health and feathers if the ratio is balanced.

10. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    My ratio is 3 drakes and 2 hens. I wanted to do pairs, but I can see that won't work. I already have a buyer for the call and a hatchery said they would take my mallards. I would like to keep my scovy pair, but I know the male's need more than one female. The hens are really hard to find in my area, so if I were to get two more girls, what breed should I get???
    I think I finally got some good ideas! Thanks for all the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by