Call duckling hatched, day 29 today.

POCGOC

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Hello,
1 have 4 eggs, yet only three are fertile, but the duck hen is dead as a sly fox got her
sad.png
Now i have one egg about to hatch but problems have arose and i feel the duckling is struggling to hatch or free itself.
Please any advice would be grateful

I need some help from where to go now. sorry for my terrible inexperience
Day 26 -27, day and half ago i heard the duckling pipping so, i left the duckling to try create any bumps or small hole.
When i woke this morning, the duck was chirping and pipping (slowly) away , It stopped around afternoon and still nothing , slight movement but thats all.
I am worried cause i think the duckling might be upside down and pipping at the small end of the egg.
so.
I cracked the wide end of the egg off to help it breathe perhaps where the egg sack is.
There is a bit of yellow spots (could be the yolk or feathers? not sure.),But no leaking blood.
I think i see the knees of the duckling sticking out.
I fear the umbilical cord is at the air sac end, but not too sure?
I placed the egg cap back on and taped it up incase. and waited 2-3 hours.
Then It was pipping and chirping again.

,, only 4 eggsI placed some q tips with warm water on top of the white rubbery membrane and , it became see through- ish small blood vessels visible with blood , and one larger blood vessel which i think might be the chord.

I uploaded some picks.

image 1
img20110729001.jpg

image 2
img20110729002.jpg

image 3
img20110729003.jpg

image 4
img20110729004.jpg

My own judgment is not enough,
I tried to help it but could be doing more damage.

My question is Can somebody perhaps discuss with me what should i do next.

Last edited:
Also ,
How can i tell if a duckling is upside down or facing the right direction of the larger end of the egg?

I would lay him down on its side and talk to him....I am funny like that...encourage him to keep trying to get out....his beak side up

Quote:
In stead i got its little sisters and placed them in the same room,
he/she was chirping back to them, and moving slightly.
presume thats a good sign.

I was looking for the beak , but im having a hard time finding it. here's the update after 4 hours
3-4 hours later
Wet membrane with small blood vessels

image 5
img20110729007.jpg

image 6
img20110729006.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for your reply ,
I am worried cause of the amount of blood vessels myself,
but i noticed I think that the latest photos ,
I am 99% for sure, that he/she is pipping at the smaller end of the egg and still hasn't turned around.
What you see in the photo i think is the umbilical cord. I was advised to leave it for 3-4 hours but i feel this is not enough or a realistic option cause i do not want to pierce or cut the membrane that if i'm right the cord and interrated blood vessels are entering into the duckling from this end and its too near to the membrane to cut.

I think the duckling is upside down i hear stronger chirping at the smaller egg side than where the air sac was.

The same thing happened to me once, but Iwas certain of where it was hatching from! This is one of those situations where a lot of people will tell you to either leave it or open the egg! They will have very strong opinions about it.
I say, if you do open the small end, do it being aware that you should only be helping it breathe at this point! Only tap off a tiny bit of shell layer and wet it to see if you have the head or the yolk as you do not want to pierce the yolk sack! If you have the head only break enough away to give it breathing room. stop if you see blood and wait for fifteen minutes. After you do so the duckling will surely need help as it sounds week. Wait until it looks as a lot of the veins on the air cell area look has been absorbed. Then you may slowly help it. This may take overnight. stop when you see blood and put it back. put it back if it seems cold. all of this may be done in a steamy bathroom.

Quote:
Thank you your help.
hoping another 4-5 hours might do it some good before i check up on it.
fingers crossed for the little fella.
I noticed a circular different darker shade around a third to a half an inch in size on the egg , the egg is baby blue shade, yet there is a darker almost see through circle near the narrow end of the egg. this could be where it is pipping at. if bumps and cracks develop there , i'll leave him/ her be for the night, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for you help

Last edited:
update,
Blood vessels are drying up slowly. yolk sack is slightly being absorbed. Eventually got the top cap of the egg off.
His/her head is at the narrow end of the egg. I created a small hole at the narrow end of the egg to breathe and allow some air in, the membrane has no blood vessels / dried up.

Are theses sportive results i wonder?
1. his/her chirping is stronger.
2. no blood flow when the membrane was pierced.
3. the blood vessels are diminishing in size especially around the yolk sack.
4. the blood left in some vessels is cut off and appears to be getting darker

Thanks for all your help and opinions.

i will leave it for another couple of hours, and see if the blood dries up more

update:
i Walked by the incubator and looked in,
She got out no blood or left over yolk, a clean escape from the egg.
I so happy now , but i still feel she is weak after 2 days of chirping and pipping.

I will leave it in the incubator for another 24 hours.
But she is just lying down, is this normal soon as they come out of the egg?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom