Call duckling questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ruralmom, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    Just hatched out 4 call ducklings this am, about 8 hours ago and they appear to be still weak. Three are able to hold their heads up and the last to hatch is getting there. Am I expecting too much out of them so soon after hatching? They just seem slower that to the Welsh Harl. that I hatched out 4 days ago. They are till in the bator allowing time to dry and gather strength. When should I offer food and water? are they the same as a chick that can go 24 hours still on the yolk sac? Could I eventually put the call duckling and the WH ducklings together to have one group or is the size difference just going to make issue? What is so many call housing off of the ground? I am so proud of myself for hatching out the calls, what an accomplishment at high altitude.

2. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    My weak calls/chicks were a result of incubator temps - It if was too hot, they came early and weak. If it was too low... they hatched late and were weak. Too much humidity in inc can cause weak, mushy babies also. Go figure! Food water requirements are same as with chicks, except - NO medicated feed. Size of mixed birds may make a difference at the feed & water. Congrats on hatching calls! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we don't pull our call ducklings out for almost 48 hours.... they tend to flip over and be weak if taken out sooner than that. That is just the way we do it..

4. ruralmom

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    Good plan I think I will keep them in the bator for 48 hrs do u give them food and water during that time? I am going to feed them a non medicated starter game feed.

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Just leave them alone. Sit on your hands and act like they don't even exist. 8 hours after hatch is *way* too early to tell anything. No, they don't need food and water. We do like Mrs Turbo, we do not even open the incubator for at least 24 hours after the hatch is over. By that time, some of the ducklings have been hatched for over 48 hours. They do not need food or water for the first 3 days. They need a good 24 hours to get up and moving around after they hatch. Really, to be honest- if you do end up losing any during that period (which is very unusual if they were able to hatch) then there is a reason. It's best to leave them be for a couple days.

6. ruralmom

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    thank you so much for your knowledge. I have raised ducks but these calls appear to be very fragile. I will sit on my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by