Call ducks and egg laying

nbeucler

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 18, 2014
Hi I'm new to posting on this site, but have always found very helpful information when reading. I have a question for any call duck experts out there. I have 2 call ducks, one male one female. They are both house ducks. The female has been a pet her whole life, the male just recently moved in. My female hasn't laid an egg for over a month. Is that normal? She has laid eggs, 2 or 3 and then stops for a while, but not much more than a week or two. She acts totally normal, eats normal, and is sassy as usual. Should I be worried about her being egg bound? She is more than a pet, I'd be devastated if something were to happen to her.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Call ducks are the worst egg layers of any domestic breed, so I think she's fine. :) Congrats on your two house duck babies! What prompted you to get the male? My Wobbles is a lone house duck, so I can understand the need for a second. They're kinda like potato chips.

Do you have any photos of your little girl?

Both of them hatched from a breeding pair in my classroom. The female, Sweet Pea, hatched late and the rest of the group wouldn't accept her so she became a pet. The male, Green Bean, was at the farm with the rest of the group which unforuntately became dinner for a hawk. He was alone and whenever we visited the farm, Sweet Pea would hang out by his pen. They are best buds. Here is a picture of them. Sweet pea on the right and Green Bean on the left. And don't worry, my couch is poo free, they wear diapers.
IMG

Both of them hatched from a breeding pair in my classroom. The female, Sweet Pea, hatched late and the rest of the group wouldn't accept her so she became a pet. The male, Green Bean, was at the farm with the rest of the group which unforuntately became dinner for a hawk. He was alone and whenever we visited the farm, Sweet Pea would hang out by his pen. They are best buds. Here is a picture of them. Sweet pea on the right and Green Bean on the left. And don't worry, my couch is poo free, they wear diapers.

aw, so cute!

Calls are seasonal layers, when in laying mode i find they lay quite a bit i had teeny eggs coming out my ears that said it almost seemed like as soon as it began it ended.

none of my females resumed laying after their clutches hatched back in June & July.

Back
Top Bottom