Call ducks and natural incubation.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dec1an, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Hello everyone !QUESTION OVERLOAD!

I have 2 call ducks, a male and female. About a week ago the female started to lay! YEY!

I am wanting to hatch some of the eggs and am not sure whether to incubate them myself or let her do it.

The best way is obviously for her to but she doesnt seem interested in them yet, she has probably layed a clutch of about 5 or 6 at the moment so will she start to sit when she lays more? I havent had experience with broody ducks before.

Another question is if she doesnt become broody will she accept the ducklings if i hatch them myself? I hatched the two that i have currently myself and was lucky that i got a male and female.

Also if/when she does become broody and starts to sit on them what should i look out for, as in when she doesnt seem interested in the eggs etc and should i separate the male from her? They do get stressed when separated but ive heard of people saying the males can interfere.

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    let her lay and see if she will go broody. Call ducks, true to type call ducks, are hard to hatch because of the super short bills.

no she wont raise the ducklings for you if you incubate them it will be your job to do.

leave the pair together, there is no reason to separate.

3. Dec1an

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Thankyou very much for your reply. Cleared a few things for me there :) If i was to incubate them would they get along with each other? Because I keep my ducks with chickens (in separate housing) and the male torpedo's into anything near his girl. I wouldnt want them to be fighting with each other.

Thanks.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you dont put young ducks with adults as there is always flock dynamics to be worked out and the new members need to be big enough to hold their own. Yes though once grown if you have a large enough space you can keep them together.

5. Dec1an

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Sorry i didnt mean young ducks haha. I meant when they are of age. Thanks so much for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by