1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call ducks and the upcoming snow storm!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 20123001, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    Ok so i live in wisconsin and it is estimated that we will get 12- 18 inches of snow plus winds of 45 mph tonight and tommarow! i have a bunch of ducks and chickens but i was wondering if i should bring my call ducks into our shed outside? Im just worried about the blizzard conditions and there are supposed to be really high drifts and i dont want them to get hurt or lost! i know that they will be warm enough outside but im just worried about the snow. i also have a couple of game bantams and i think im going to put them in the shed too so they dont get lost or stuck outside of their coop. Any advice would be great thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    If the birds have proper housing where they can get out of the wind they should be just fine where ever they are. We are currently getting the ice storm here in IN and I've been out there several times today and the birds are doing great! I locked all of our Welsh Harlequins and Indian Runners up in their coop but they were just fine outside, I just didn't want them getting ice built up on their feathers. If they get cold they go in, but I locked them all inside just for my sanity. They have straw and can dig into it, makes me feel better, but there are Canada geese back at the creek on the neighbors property and they are just fine, they are swimming and preening back there.

3. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    We are having the same blowing snow as you. Today for the first time ever I had two hens that could not find their way back to the coop. I believe they became disoriented by the blowing snow and drifts. I would put your ducks in the shed until the blizzard passes and the drifts stabilize. That way you won't need to worry.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd put them in, all of mine are in. This wind and snow is like a cyclone down here in Illinois! You have to consider that the Calls could very well get blown away too in this wind, and there simply isn't any sense in them expending the amount of energy trying to stay warm in this weather.

5. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    Thanks everybody! I did bring them in and i think they loved it! no more snow on their feet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by