call ducks and winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by supermommy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    Do you bring in your ducks? Im concerned its too cold out there! If you keep them out what special care do u take?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Ours are in an aviary with the wild ducks.....they have a small shelter with straw that they stay in most of the time.

3. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    I gotta tell ya I dont think mine are that smart;) lol...We have 2 diffrent shelters built and they refuse to go in either one of them...lol

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    That is how mine were, they would always stay on a frozen pond...i thought they were crazy...but after a few times of pushing them in their shelter, they never come out except to drink....the way i see it, they will go in if they are cold.

5. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    ducks are equipped for being out in the the cold. my friends sleep in the water at night. or on the ice. in the snow,wind,rain. and they are fine.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine very rarely go into their shelter, even when the wind chill is well below zero.

7. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Mine use their shelter quite often (every night), but we get well below zero without the windchill. But they are also outside quite a bit playing in the snow on days it's below zero. They still love to play in the water when I fill a tub for them. But I make sure to empty the tub before it freezes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by