call ducks being killed by the mothe or the other 2 in the pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lem47, May 27, 2010.

1. lem47

lem47 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    sturgeon bay
    Had 4 baby call ducks hatch out with a new mother,in my pen I have the father and another female with them we found two that had been drowned in the bathing pool,to high for the babies to get into my themselves,and 2 that were injured and later died,never had anything like this hapen before,my luck stinks so far this year with my ducks,but this is the worst.Any help out their on this mater,,thank you,sue

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry for your losses.

I always provide a seperate area for my ducks while they are sitting. I fence of a small section around the nest part of the way through incubation. Looking after the babies is a full time job- and I like mine to be able to do it without the hassle or risk of other ducks around. I also make sure that there is no water container around that they can get out of. It means refilling a small dish often for the mother- but better that way than risk any of the babies drowning.

3. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Songster 8 Years

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    SOME male creatures kill their young to free moms to their wants. Sad but true. [​IMG]

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Had a roo kill some chicks yesterday, they were his offspring, but no matter to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: