Call duck's first egg? Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimberly35042, May 17, 2011.

1. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I hatched 2 call ducks back on March 1. I had an "odd" egg on the yard this morning. Creamy white and fairly large. The runner ducks lay tinted eggs. Is it possible an 11 week old bantam duck laid an egg????? I haven't seen them mate although she had a nice flight halfway across the pond this week **lol** its a 1 acre pond so it was quite impressive I must say. And of course she was very proud and quacked LOUDLY at her feat.

This pic is about a month old. The male has a 95% green head now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

It actually could be a runner egg especially if it's large. When I had runners I would get a white egg every once and awhile.

3. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    hmmm -- that's interesting. I only have a pair of runners but this egg didn't look anything like what she normally lays. I have a broody mutt pekin but she's REALLY broody so doubt its hers. This little call duck pair are all sass and quack but only 11 to 12 weeks old.

Do you have calls? Do you happen to remember when they started laying?

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

one of my call girls laid her first egg at 5 months and only for about 1 month., my other girl was 11 months old with her first egg. I was told calls can be immature when it comes to their first egg laying [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    That would certainly make more sense. I was thinking 5-6 months at the earliest. The little male seems to have some hormones going on though. He's being really mean to some runner ducklings I'm trying to get used to the the big pond. He literally vibrates as he struts toward them to chase them. I haven't noticed him being amorous toward his lady but they are inseparable and made for each other. Cute little sassy birds!

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Sorry I cant help with your question. But I have to say that you have such BEAUTIFUL little calls. You must be so proud of them, I know I would be. [​IMG]

7. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Aw, thank you. I have to say they have a ton of attitude for such little ducks. They are more interesting than the runners for sure!

There was the standard green tint egg this morning. I'm going with ducklover15 and say the runner got bored with color and laid a large whiteish egg! Always an adventure!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    They are beautifull, can't wait to see what colour my little ones are going to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are call from these three.[​IMG]

9. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Ahh I need to stop looking at pictures. I want some calls now. But I cant, I have to many already! [​IMG] kimberly35042 your welcome! missy 5 be sure to keep us posted on how they turn out.

10. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Oh my! What pretty colors. Who is the drake in your pic?

Well, if we are sharing baby pics, here are these guys that were born on or about March 1st. My FIRST HATCH EVER!! And the eggs were delivered from NY to AL in a freak ice storm (in Alabama!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by