Call Ducks hatching problem Picture added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tamsflock, Mar 2, 2009.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I had bought 3 calls about a month back from a fellow BYCer Snowy male and female and another female tan don't know what color she is but. They were laying when I got them so I incubated the eggs. They are hatching now but one wasn't coming out of the shell her wing was stuck to it so I helped her. Then noticed I guess the egg yolk wasn't all the way in her naval I just put her back down in the brooder with her bottom part of the shell. Will it go in? Why wasn't it in? What do I do?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    just leave it in the bator with the shell on it's bottom. Make sure the humidity stays high enough so they don't dry out. Sometimes we wrap a warm paper towel around the rest of the egg to help keep it moist. You didn't do anything wrong, they are just so hard to hatch. I guess you have a 50% chance that he will make it. Good luck

3. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Thanks! He is still hanging in there. Poor little guy:(

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had one hatch like that 2 years ago. I left the bottom half of the shell on, and zipped the bottom half of the duck in a plastic bag with a wet paper towel in it. For 3 days all the duckling would do was lay their. Then one morning I went to check on him (still in the incubator), and he was like a whole new duck. Running around, etc.

5. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Oh I hope he makes it.

please make sure he stays moist, that is the best way. somtimes the yolk takes a long time to absorb, and sometimes I think when they are having problems hatching, they put more energy in trying to hatch and the yolk gets forgotton so to speak.

Keep us posted.

Julie

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    its important that the humidity is high so he doesnt dry out

7. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Just an up date the little guy is still hanging on. Have him still in the incubator. Hope the little guy makes it he is a fighter!!

8. duckduck

duckduck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Trussville, AL
    Oh no I hate to hear that this has happened. [​IMG] I hope the little one makes it. (PS I'm the one you got the quackers from)

9. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Jennifer I sent you an e-mail first letting you know!!The little guy is still holding on but looks very weak. Duckies are doing great I am so glad you let them come live here!!
    Here are the 2 healthy babies.
    [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They are so adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by