Call ducks,How old to expect seeing eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Triplell, May 21, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Songster

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    The ducks were hatched on March 13th. How long before I should expect seeing eggs? I have no curl tails yet, are Calls different from large ducks?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    To the best of my knowledge calls are seasonal layers unlike many domestic breeds.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I wouldn't be expecting eggs till next year. Ducks hate summer weather and will stop laying completely or only lay a couple eggs.
    Calls are seasonal layers and lay during certain parts of the year unless the weather is perfect for laying eggs.

4. Triplell

Triplell Songster

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thanks guys, I am new to them but I alway's wanted some since the first time I seem one.:love About what age do they mature?:confused:

5. stumpbroke

stumpbroke Hatching

Aug 18, 2011
    I got eight babies in March a year ago. One drake and two hens lived. I have them in a covered former dog kennel so the floor is concrete and I can wash it and keep it clean. There is an indoor and outside run. On the inside I never turn the light off. I took $1 plastic 12"x6" wash pans and cut the front out and tacked them to the wall. Then I "stole" some fake greenery from my mom's house and tacked that in between each. Couldn't even keep any shavings in them but it didn't matter. They laid at 8 months (November in Arkansas)

Fed them 1/4 scratch grain and 3/4 22% layer pellet at around 4 months and had my first egg in November (8 months). After trial and error failing 4 settings, I finally hatched 4 out of 8 eggs in a Hova-Bator Incubator the last of December. 2nd generation in 9 months.

Today I have 51 out of one drake/two hens, a year and two months later. My hatch rate is near 70%. I' now have 3 Hova-Bators in my basement (the kind with the fan) and I turn them myself 3-4 times a day. Auto turners do not work with ducks. Most hatch on their own, but when it gets to the end of day 28, I open the shell and break the membrane. Survival rate of those I have to help is around 50%.

6. Triplell

Triplell Songster

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I just started to feed them some waterfowl breeder pellets with their starter crumbles. Right now I'm at half and half. I figured I would stick withthis until they are 6 months old. They are able to free range during the day with my young pullets. Other wise they are also in a dog kennel until this weekend cause my brother needs it back for his dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: