Call Ducks, info wanted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sara, Jun 4, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

How do you house your calls? What do I absolutely need to know about them?

I'm going to pick up snowy calls on Friday for my son. I have heavy breed ducks on my pond that just kind of free range the property. However I think these need to be kept penned up so that they don't become little hawk nuggets. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have dog houses for mine and they very rarely go in them....even when it's snowy and bitter cold in the winter.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

In the winter give them lots of hay to snuggle in if they get cold. Also, make sure they are in a covered pen, because they can fly.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I built a lilttle hosue for mine and put some netting over their enclosure. They DO use the house, probably because they had to stay in it for two weeks until I had the time to work on the aviary, but they forage all over their enclose. It is about 45X35. I will have to seperate them out for breeding - I guess which ever color I have the most of will stay in the outdoor aviary and the others will go in the barn aviary.

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Thank you all! I was thinking of a chain link dog kennel, with some smaller wire attactched around the bottom, something over the top, and a small dog house or something for them to get out of the weather if they so desire. At least for now. Browsing online I found this http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/housing.html so maybe when I have time I'll try to make one.

6. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Calls may be small, but they still make a huge mess like any other duck.
    You can use a chain link fencing, but it is best to line the whole cage with some chicken wire or hardware cloth. The small openings in the chicken wire will prevent weasels from getting through. Weasels can fit through chain link fence, so you need to protect the ducks from them. But you still need the chain link fence, to protect the ducks from larger predators who could chew through plain chicken wire.

Calls are so adorable and sweet, and you will just love them to pieces!

7. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Does anyone let their call ducks free range? I just got my first pair of call ducks, and lovely pastel couple, and was thinking that I could let them free range with my other ducks after they had gotten used to their new digs.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I don't think I'm going to let mine free range just because of hawks. I don't let my lavender bantams out (except occasionaly in the evening when I can stay right with them) because they would surely become little hawk nuggets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by