1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks, Khaki Ducks & Pekins--Can they co-exist?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EbonyIcy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. EbonyIcy

EbonyIcy New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    NY
    I have 6 Pekin ducks (4 females and 2 males) and 2 female Khaki Campbell ducks. My concern is that I was given two ducklings that are now about 8 weeks old and they appear to be 2 female call ducks. Can these two little ducks co-exist with my other ducks and survive???? Thank you!!! I have 30 acres.....a one acre pond that is 13-15 deep for them to free-range all summer. For the winter, I corral them in a one acre, electric-fenced orchard with an 8'X10' or 10'x12' building that is insulated with hay and has water and feed inside for them. I 'tuck' them in nightly and every morning I give them new drinking water and fill two children's pools to swim and bathe in. I am just concerned about the size difference of my pekin drakes and the female calls.....advice is welcomed!!!!!

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Hello & welcome to BYC.

I would not allow the male Pekins to access the call ducks. My Pekin drake has one thing on his mind this Spring and if he could access a female Call, he'd probably hurt or kill her trying to mate.

I'll tag another member that knows a lot more about Calls than I do.

@RavynFallen

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft Previously RavynFallen Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Deb is absolutely correct... they would need to have their own separate area and house to keep them safe, otherwise I would look into rehoming them...

I know another member free ranges her Calls and Muscovy together, but each group has their own drakes and they keep to themselves quiet well in plenty of space... but 2 female Calls alone are just prime targets and a Pekin drake would seriously injure or could kill a Call just trying to mate... I have a couple of big ducks with my Calls, but I'd never keep big drakes with my Calls...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by