Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by XOXOLindsay, Aug 31, 2016.

1. XOXOLindsay

XOXOLindsay New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    I am considering getting a pair of call ducks. I have never raised them before and I am curious to know what their personality and temperment is like. Are they typically quite or loud? I was also wondering about their egg laying abilities in comparison to standard size ducks. Could it be compared with a bantam chicken and a standard chicken? Do people eat call duck eggs? I will most likely get snowy call ducks, but I am open to other suggestions.

My biggest concern is housing. I have roughly one and a half acres at the back of my property fenced off as a pasture. It currently houses goats, chickens, geese, and ducks. I was planning on building the call ducks a smaller pen and letting them free range on most days. I am hesitant because the call ducks and the standard ducks will be able to see each other from their pens. Will the ducks try to get to one another? Will they ignore each other? I would house the call ducks with the rest of the animals, but I'm not comfortable with them being with the geese.

Any advice or insight will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Lindsay

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My two Calls are great.....I have a Mallard Call Drake and a White hen...They live with my standard Ducks and all get along fine...
    They can fly so be prepared for that....Mine do not fly far or high, about six feet off the ground from one side of the yard to the other.....I house all six ducks in a x-large dog house and a 10x10 dog run....I free range a few times a day and keep the pool out of the enclosure, they use it during the times they are out. My Call Drake nor my Welsh Drake have tried to breed each others hens....Only know what has worked for me though....

3. XOXOLindsay

XOXOLindsay New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thanks for that information. I don't know anyone with call ducks. I have heard that the hens are loud and the drakes will try to mate with standard ducks. I only have three Welsh Harlequin hens. Maybe I should move my Toulouse geese out of the pasture and put the call ducks with the other ducks.

Have your call ducks tried to hatch ducklings?

4. chickens really

I have a Welsh drake and these two get along.
    I'm not saying he won't breed the welsh if you get a pair of calls? Mine so far have not... They are young Drakes..my Call hen totally refuses the welsh so he puts all his efforts into the bigger hens..

5. XOXOLindsay

XOXOLindsay New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    I hope they won't try to breed with each other. I guess the only way to know is through experience. I think you're lucky to have yours interact the way they do.

What do you do for nest boxes or do they make their own nests in their shelter?

6. chickens really

They lay in the dog house...None of mine are ready to set eggs...I will put in another House for when they or if they decide to set eggs.?

7. chickens really

When you first introduce the Calls to your Welsh, do so in a look no touch pen....I can not say it will work.?
    Mine get along great though...My Call drake and my Welsh sleep beside each other and are friends...I ended up with a Roean Drake I rescued...He is starting to like the hens so my Call beats him up a little bit......
    All depends on the temperament of all Ducks....Just like dogs, they do not always get along...
    Only you will know what works will each bird.....

8. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    I have both Snowy and white calls that I let free range with my standards. During the breeding season, the only trouble I had between the two flocks was that the call drakes would go after the standard hens. Now that fall is coming, they're sticking to their own flocks. The calls are the dominant ducks, even over most of our chickens, but they very rarely get in fights with anything other than their own kind. (I don't house the two types of Calls together for breeding purposes, so during the non-breeding season I'll let them free range together and they tend to fight a bit). But as was already said, it completely depends on the characters of your ducks.
    My calls are usually pretty quiet, unless food is coming, or they're not happy with something. Their voices have an amazing volume for such a tiny body, but I just see it as part of their opinionated personality, and it's just darn cute. :D The eggs I would compare to a standard chicken size - you'll probably get between 50-100 a year, and they'll lay wherever they find suitable bedding. They can be eaten, or hatched, and one of my call hens did go broody and successfully hatch a clutch.
    If you do get calls though, be prepared to fall head over heels in love. :D

9. chickens really

They sure do have that cuteness to them...Penelope my White hen is soo cute..Loud for sure, but she is a great little duck...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by