Call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thomascmrn, Jan 19, 2017.

1. thomascmrn

thomascmrn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    Hi I have 3 call ducks 1 male and 2 hens they are black Bibb call ducks and I've seen my drake breed both of the hens but I haven't seen them lay any eggs and my Peking and my rouens they lay me a egg almost everyday so is the call duck a seasonal duck

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Yes most bantam breeds, if not all bantam breeds, are seasonal layers. Your male is just claiming them has his mates for spring when they will begin to lay eggs and start a family! :)

3. thomascmrn

Jul 12, 2016
    Now will my call ducks lay on there eggs or I have to get a incubator

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hmm it depends on your ducks, mine will try to hatch babies but the problem is that call ducks beaks are so small that when they try to break out of the egg they are unable to. And mom doesn't really know how to help so an incubator or a chicken is probably your best bet becuase chickens will help the babies hatch if they sense something is wrong .

5. thomascmrn

Jul 12, 2016

6. thomascmrn

Jul 12, 2016
    How are the Rouen ducks about moms

7. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Fine, but rouens don't have problems hatching so the mom doesn't have to help, basicly no domesticated duck mother helps their babies as to standard.

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, calls tend to be seasonal and only lay 30-60 eggs per season (depends on the variety and genetics).

Depending on your location, you should be seeing eggs soon. Here in the northeast mine usually start laying in March when it warms up

9. thomascmrn

Jul 12, 2016
    Yeh I live in the south but it rlly is feeling like summer like yesterday was 70

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by