1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stormie, Feb 17, 2009.

1. stormie

stormie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 the lowest, 10 the highest) how hard is it to hatch call ducks. I have heard they can be difficult. I plan to mist and cool during incubation (following Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks) and use clean hands. I am also not cleaning the eggs off. I will be using 9200 Little Giant Still Air incubator. Just want some opinions...

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:It depends on the size of the parents. If the parents are on the larger side, then a 4, if the parents are very small and typy, then maybe 6 or 7.

Make sure not to play around with the eggs too much. I mean candling. Only candle at 7 days, and then before you move them to the hatcher. they hatch at day 26. Wash you hands very well before touching them also, as the oils from you hands could clog the eggs pours.

I wrote an article on hatching call ducks, it is on my byc page.

3. stormie

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Are they friendly if hatched by myself? I spend at least two weeks with them at about 6 hours a day. I went to State Fair this past summer and noticed all the call ducks were really skittish and I don't want skittish ducks.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Call ducks are very friendly ducks. If hand raised, they will become very friendly. I had a call duck that would fly after me as an adult, and follow me all around the yard.

I would wash my hands instead of wearing rubber gloves, but thats just me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. stormie

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Instead of washing my hands would it work to use normal rubber gloves (disposable)?

6. stormie

Jun 23, 2008
    MO
    Alright thanks a bunch for the advice and I'll follow your guide on you BYC page. Very helpful!

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    You can expect about 50% to hatch. But they are well worth the extra effort! My calls are much tamer than my standard size ducks. I can walk in their pen and just scoot my feet through them without them moving much. (I have 54 of the little darlings) My big ducks will panic and get as far away from me as they can, although all were hatched and hand raised by me.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree they can be a tame little duck if you spend any amount of time with them.

I let the hens set and then take the ducklings away once they're hatched. I never had very good luck hatching them....the hens do much better than I ever did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by