Call Ducks

Pelephant

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
So, I just got three new call ducks yesterday afternoon, one male and two females. This morning, one of the females had laid an egg! This got me thinking, however...

The owner told us that the trio are around two years old. Now, I know that chickens start laying less and less into their second and third year, is this the same for ducks? Should I be cherishing this egg and incubating it, or will I expect many more?

Ducks are productive much longer than chickens as a general rule. That said Calls are not usually noted for their laying ability.

My rule is if it's a call egg...
Incubate it!
They don't lay that much, mostly in the spring. So save up for 7-10 days and pop them in the bator!
Lucky you!!!

P.s. What variety are they? And where are the pics?
smile.png

Last edited:
My ducks don't seem to start slowing down until they are about 4-5 years old. In general though, as someone else said- they are much more productive than chickens. My bantam ducks lay, on average, a little more than half the number of eggs my large ducks do. I don't have Calls though, so maybe someone else can answer about Calls better.

Anyway, mine tend to slow a bit at about 4-5, but continue to lay for several more years after that. They will still lay sporadically even when they are 10-12 years old.

To my great surprise, I found yet another duck egg this morning!

These are the first ducks I've had, although I've had a ton of chickens before.
smile.png
Aren't they cute? I think I might try hatching these eggs. Are call ducks very rare?

duckssmall.jpg

Those are ADORABLE. I just think calls are so beautiful. They're not rare, but I think they're less common than the average farm duck (pekins and so on). In any event, they are among the most beautiful of ducks, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom