call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sky.hawk51, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sky.hawk51

sky.hawk51 New Egg

Nov 8, 2009
    Berks Co. PA.
    New to ducks, My wife got two call ducks this spring. We already had chickens B.O. and she thought ducks would be nice. They presently have a area to themselves (due to a drowning of a pullet) and sleep in the coop at night with the chickens.
    1. Do the ducks need to have water during the winter to frolick in? Reason I ask is in the past they make a terrrible mess in the coop. They have completly emptyed the watering container we use,red bottom and opaque top holds 1 gal. We use shavings and the floor is wood. My concern is the floor rotting at some point.
    2. They are a mating pair, O due they ever mate, they were ducklings in the spring. When could we expect to see eggs?
    3. They have flown in the past just a quick circle around the house and back on the ground. We have clipped there wings and that seems to keep them grounded, My question is will they fly away if we were to not clip? Thank you for any advice, it is most appricated.
    4. Is it normal for the ducks to go nuts over minnows, my wife gets them and puts them in the pool and they chase them down and eat them. They love em.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

sky.hawk51 :

New to ducks, My wife got two call ducks this spring. We already had chickens B.O. and she thought ducks would be nice. They presently have a area to themselves (due to a drowning of a pullet) and sleep in the coop at night with the chickens.
    1. Do the ducks need to have water during the winter to frolick in? Reason I ask is in the past they make a terrrible mess in the coop. They have completly emptyed the watering container we use,red bottom and opaque top holds 1 gal. We use shavings and the floor is wood. My concern is the floor rotting at some point.

I keep mine seperate from my chickens. In the summer they have a kiddie pool, but in the winter they just have big feed pans that they get into. I'm not up to carrying enough water to fill the kiddy pool when I can't use the hose anymore!

2. They are a mating pair, O due they ever mate, they were ducklings in the spring. When could we expect to see eggs?

You more than likely won't see any eggs till late february/early March. They are seasonal layers.

3. They have flown in the past just a quick circle around the house and back on the ground. We have clipped there wings and that seems to keep them grounded, My question is will they fly away if we were to not clip? Thank you for any advice, it is most appricated. I keep mine penned so I don't know if they'll come back or not if they get the chance to fly away.

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    yes, they are very messy!!!!!
    I have a tub for winter bathing (only one at a time can fit in there) that is light enough for me to manage but helps keep them happy. However, they still dabble and splash in the water bowls i have!
    Because mine are in with chickens, they only get to swim when i am there to watch. other wise it is emptied or covered.
    as for your kiddie pool next year, i haven't had any incidents since i put a ramp inside the pool, and my chickens free range with the ducks. very soon i will have to empty the kiddie pool for the Minnesota winter.

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I've only had my calls for one year, so feel free to ignore anythin I say for someone who has had years of experience.
    I think they do need water to sit and sploosh in all year round because they need to preen themselves in it. When they preen they spread the oil from their gland and it makes them waterproof and keeps them warm in the winter. My calls enjoy sitting in their waterbowls almost as much as they like swimming in their pool so perhaps they don't need the biggest of water ponds, just somewhere where they can get into the water and have a good splash.
    I have read people on here who successfully integrate ducks and chickens but I think the water issue is always a problem. Ducks love to sploosh and to mix the water with mud. Wet chickens don't do so well!!!
    If they came to you clipped, it is heartbraking but it's kind of best to keep them clipped. The guy who gave us our ducks had a call fly away and never find its way back. My ducks get lost in their own back garden! One of them flew into the neighbour's garden and freaked out because it couldn't work out how to get back home. If they are locked up and safe from predators, it may be a very good idea to keep them clipped.
    If you get conflictin advice from people who have had ducks for longer than me, then feel free to take their advice! I am learning as I go along!!!
    Enjoy them though, goodness knows I adore mine!!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by