1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by debilorrah, Dec 4, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can see them in this pic. We got them today and paid $10 each for them. Was this a good price? Some other fool was selling them for $50 a pair. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Very cute !! Glad to see you rebuilding your flock again. It was a good price for calls - but I wouldnt say the other fellow was a fool for asking $50 - if he can get that price I would say he was a good business man. Thats actually more like the price we would pay for calls out here. And more like $100 for a really good pair.

3. debilorrah

Quote:REALLY???? Dang, I guess I got a good deal. THey are 18 months old....

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    We dont have the huge hatcheries like you guys do - so generally prices of Poultry are very different. Day olds for ducklings like Pekins or Scovies may be as low as $5 each in spring or $10 in late summer and winter- but anything else can be up to or even over $20 each. A good show quality adult bird in a rare breed or colour can be $150 per bird - but of course there is not the volume of buyers at that price to make it worth breeding too many.

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:For pet quality I would say you got a good deal, that is what I sell my young white calls that dont meet standard.

Quote:He isnt a fool, either he has really good stock, or they are great breeders with great genes!!

I have personally seen GOOD white calls sell for over $300 a pair.....but they were show winners and were perfect!!!

Quote:We sell our day old pekins for $3 and muscovies for $5, once they are over 5-6 weeks the pekins are $10 and muscovies $15...and I sell them all the time.

Quote:$150 a bird is high unless they are good quality breeder or showable.........and you are lucky to get 1 good bird out of each hatch!!!
    but as for there not being a big volume of buyers.....well you are VERY wrong!!!!
    At our local auctions, I regularyly see pairs of good calls going for around $100-$200

6. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    Quote:$150 a bird is high unless they are good quality breeder or showable.........and you are lucky to get 1 good bird out of each hatch!!!
    but as for there not being a big volume of buyers.....well you are VERY wrong!!!!
    At our local auctions, I regularyly see pairs of good calls going for around $100-$200

I'm pretty sure duckyfromoz was talking about how the demand was much lower in australia compared to the states, and its kinda rude to call someone out and tell them they are wrong when they are simply explaining what they observe.

duckyfromoz,
    I read what you wrote and understood it perfectly. Thanks for filling us in on how the poultry market differs down under. I find it very interesting.

7. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:You are very right and Im sorry!!
    I didnt realize duckyfromoz was from Australia, or that they were talking about down under.

Once again I am sorry for my comments

8. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    Quote:You are very right and Im sorry!!
    I didnt realize duckyfromoz was from Australia, or that they were talking about down under.

Once again I am sorry for my comments

no harm no foul. I know that here in the states i have heard of exceptional calls that fetched as much as $4000 for their PERFECT size, type, color and pedigree. I haven't seen it myself but i'm sure it happens. If you want the best, you have to buy it or spend years trying to achieve it. I've always heard also that the closer you get to perfecting a breed, the more problems with fertility and hatchability you encounter. Still only what i've heard. I don't raise anything that i would label as SQ but i try to start with affordable stock and breed for the desired traits to the best of my ability, regardless of breed or variety. I would never advertise something as something it wasn't, to make a dollar. My morals are too high for that and i want to keep happy customers. as far as the above post is concerned, it's already forgotten.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    aww Deb they adorable!! I think you got a good deal-shoot I wish I could find 4 call girls for my boys:-( Nothing fancy just 4 female calls-not SQ -pets they dont care:)

10. debilorrah

Quote:Once they start laying, I can send ya some eggs. I KNOW you have a bator going all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by