1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckGirl15, Nov 2, 2011.

1. DuckGirl15

DuckGirl15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I got a pair of pastel Call ducks this past weekend at the National Poultry Show at the Indiana State Fair grounds. I just got home today and I put them in a temporary pen with a larger bowl for water then they had been allowed to before. They got a little frisky [​IMG] and the female was bred. Does this mean the hen will start laying now? And when do call ducks normally lay? The guy I got them from said he hatches his own eggs, but the hen will get broody and make a good mother. Is he correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you! [​IMG]

p.s
    Love the calls! So cute!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Nice user! Lol! And [​IMG] she will probably not start laying till spring..... To late in the season..... But yes, he is right, she will more then likely go broody and hatch babies...... And make a great mother...... Good luck! And post pics when you can [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    If the drake is breeding here then expect eggs soon. Drakes only breed when the females are laying or getting close to laying.
    Some call ducks make awesome broodys and mothers, but some don't have the patient to sit for 26-28 days.

Make sure your pen has netting or wire over the top so they can't fly out! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  4. DuckGirl15

Nov 2, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the advice! I have a winter pen almost halfway done for them, it has a laying box so she can hopefully hatch her babies! They are temporarily in a pen in the barn :)
    I will try to get pictures tomorrow! This forum is so awesome![​IMG]
    One more question! If she hatches some ducklings should I leave them with her or put them in a brooder??
    Thanks again!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Leave 'em with her, but keep an eye on the ducklings' early progress, just in case she has "first time mommy" issues. The BEST brooding is from a natural mommy (one who hatches and raises the ducklings, not necessarily actually laid those particular eggs which hatch). Far better than people brooding 'em.

If momma duck isn't a good mommy, you can take the babies away to brood them yourself. Otherwise, leave 'em with her.

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Youde be pretty lucky to have a call duck go broody, usually only the greys will for me, (mallard looking ones) because i think that instinct hasnt been bred out of them yet and they still carry those genes as do mallards! i use mallard hens and cochins and silkies for foster moms. One of my pastel hens made a nest last year, but would sit for a day and get up then sit then get up couldnt make her mind up so finally i just took her eggs and put them under a silkie. [​IMG]

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    [​IMG]

this grey hen actually hatched 2 clutches of babies last year. this was the 2nd batch

8. DuckGirl15

Nov 2, 2011
    NE Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-11-03

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-11-03

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-11-03

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2011-11-03

Ducks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. jaycee

jaycee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi duckgirl... those links you posted are to your hard drive, so I dont think anyone here will be able to see them. You have to open a free account someplace and upload your images online to link them here for others to see. imageshack.com and photobucket.com are two popular image hosting sites.

10. DuckGirl15

Nov 2, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Quote:Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by