Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I am thinking of getting a few Calls but has anyone had any problem with them flying away? Or do they stay close to their "home"? Will a larger drake try to mate with a Call duck? If so, is this dangerous for the Call?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine stay that said is is a risk having the full flight and loose and/or uncovered. A larger drake may try, i wouldn't recommend the idea, personally.

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok thank you:) Has anyone else had experience with keeping Calls and larger ducks together? The more information the better:)

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Going Quackers, you said a larger drake may try to mate with a call? By larger drake what do you mean? I have two cayuga drakes and two buff drakes do they count as large? I don't want them to mate, but i was wondering if they would try. If they would i wont get any female calls.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The problem is there is no way i can guarantee one way or the other, drakes are funny beasts and i will say if they have no other females than calls? i would say, it would heighten the risk greatly.

As well with 4 drakes, you would need quite a few females... usually guideline is 2-3ducks per... i have two buffs myself but female, they are in with my scovie flock.. they have drakes but they are scovies, they were raised with them, those boys guard those girls like a junk yard dog. They are definitely not as big as my Muscovy, which are considered a large breed, buffs are medium at least that is how Storey's guide to ducks categories them.

Calls, when bred right are pound cake ducks.. super small... under 2lbs..

This is my quad, that is Clyde in the front, the only drake and he is the biggest, they drop in size from there... I actually think our one silkie chicken roo is bigger lol
    [​IMG]

6. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Aaawwwww you'r calls are adorable!

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I love the colorings on female calls! I guess I can always make a new house and coop if i want to go the route of the calls especially females. Also, about HOW loud are your females? I heard they can be very loud and i have close neighbors so i dont want to annoy them. Are they as loud as female pekins?

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you! there is a blue fawn, a grey(so mallard) and finally an appleyard... Clyde is obviously a grey(mallard)

Loud! real loud.. my buffs are loud but the calls are louder.. i have a video i put up, i'll see if i can find it... I am still trying to find my video, i posted it in this section but cannot locate it, just so you know i have not forgotten!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok thank you:) One more question, how much work is it to take care of the calls compared to the larger ducks? I know calls are about 1/4 the size of larger ducks but does that mean they make 1/4 amount of poop too and eat less?

10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    In other words, do 4 call ducks "equal" one larger duck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by