Call Eggs that is turning bruised color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ccscott24, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ccscott24

ccscott24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Hi, I have had 5 pied call eggs in the incubator and about the 8th day, i candled them and they were fertile and saw babies inside it. Now, its 3 wk and i have had 2 eggs turn to bluish-bruised color and eggs are bad. Is this natural or what am i doing wrong??? I never had anything like this b4 and it makes me wonder. This is my 1st time trying to hatch call eggs.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you manually turning or have an automatic turner?

What is the humidity that you are incubating at?

Are these shipped eggs, or from your calls?

Are you misting and cooling for around 5-10 min each day?

3. ccscott24

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    I have the humidity at 55% in an automatic turner, its a GQF sportsman and they get misted once a day.

4. ccscott24

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    btw, I got the eggs from eBay and I was going to hatch out the eggs so I could start my own collection of calls.

5. SundownWaterfowl

Start cooling the rest of the eggs for about 5-10 min a day up until day 23. Then day 23 stop turning, and boost the humidity to around 70-75%. They hatch around day 26.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Is the GQF a forced air incubator? Waterfowl eggs generally do better in a forced air bator. Also, i have heard that turning waterfowl eggs 3 times a day by hand, might be better than using an automatic turner. I have always use a turner and have never had any problems.

6. ccscott24

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Yeah my eggs are in a forced air incubator and what makes the eggs turn to bruised color???? I tried to search on web for call hatching tips and not very much i could find out. I want to know what methods I need to do IF i can afford eggs again.

7. SundownWaterfowl

Im not sure what makes them turn that color.

Here is what I do:

Day 4-23 I mist and cool eggs daily for about 5-10 min. I use an automatic turner, but i've heard that waterfowl eggs do better if manually turned 3x a day.

I candle the eggs on day 7, and when I move them to the hatcher. I find it better to candle the eggs less.

On day 23 when moved to the hatcher, I move them into a carton to hatch, fat end up.

This place has some information.
    http://www.longshadowfarms.com/FAQ.html

Also, they are hard to hatch. So if they come from good quality stock, the ducklings might need some help when hatching.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Sounds like bacteria may have killed the embroy. I normaly mist my call eggs with warm water and a few drops of oxin in the sprayer...this kills any bacteria that may be on the egg, most everyone will tell you that call duck eggs are the hardest egg to hatch...

9. ccscott24

Oct 24, 2008
    Atoka, Oklahoma
    Another question, I see pictures of call ducks w/babies and I want to know, do the call eggs hatch better under there mothers n do they hatch out by themselves without any help instead of being incubator????

10. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:When I let my hens set I usually always get a 100% hatch rate. Calls make the best mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by