Call Hens Laying In The PM.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmeister, Jan 27, 2015.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Have 16 call hens I've been letting out of the hen house late mornings to roam around the yard and free range, have started to get a few eggs in the hen house nest boxes in the mornings. Tonight i was herding the hens into the henhouse when a hen stopped and dropped an egg to my surprise. I've always thought it gospel that ducks lay in the mornings.
    Going to keep them penned up all day if they are going to be laying eggs all over the place at all times of day. Was this an unusual occurance to lay in the evening, or am i gonna need to keep these girls penned up all day?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Every now and then a duck will lay an egg during the day, or during the evening. Little things can bump their body clocks.

3. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    It's abnormal for ducks to lay eggs in the evening, if it continues they will be locked up 24/7 and will no longer be allowed to free range. There are a million hidden places they could be laying. I spent hundreds of $ purchasing Holderread drakes for these hens, i can't afford to let them lay in the afternoons or evenings free ranging. In 50 years of raising ducks, this is the first time I've known of a hen to lay at 5pm in the evening.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Guess I better go have a chat with my ducks, then.[​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    X2. It's just like with humans. Things can happen that cause the cycle to get thrown off. I've personally had my ducks lay in the afternoon on several occasions over the years.

6. AmandaVirginia

AmandaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    W o w . You have 16 Call hens? That's wonderful and will be exciting when their eggs begin to hatch. Are the female Calls louder the more you have or is it really just the same as having a few? I have three Calls (2 males and 1 female) and I just love them! :) I want another 2 this spring. Where do you live?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by