Call me dumb but why is the rooster doing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doodledo, Sep 18, 2007.

1. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Silverado, my rooster is grabbing the hens and pulling them any which way. Just not on their head, he pulls their wings any part of their body. Is he just trying to get alittle or what? [​IMG] And well if he is getting some does it make the eggs fertile? I think they wont be unless they sit on them?? I know I know, you are thinking what in the world is she doing with chickens!!

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I am a newbie, and I think I know the answers to your questions, However I believe that this is a time for

CALLING SPECKLED HEN, ALL BIRDS CALLING SPECKLED HEN!!![​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Silverado, my rooster is grabbing the hens and pulling them any which way. Just not on their head, he pulls their wings any part of their body. Is he just trying to get alittle or what?
    I'd bet so. It's actually called mating, not "getting some" or other colorful terms. It sounds like he's young and hasn't got it all figured out yet. Won't be long til he does.

And well if he is getting some does it make the eggs fertile? I think they wont be unless they sit on them??
    Yes, they will be fertile. But the fertility wont be something you can rely on till he gets good and randy with the hens. Of course, in order to have them hatch, they must be incubated - either by a broody hen or artificially.

I know I know, you are thinking what in the world is she doing with chickens!!
    The thought had crosssed my mind, now that you mention it.

He has a neat name. How many hens do you have for Silverado?

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I think he's trying to get "some". [​IMG] He'll figure it out pretty soon...probably your girls aren't submitting to him yet by laying flat on the ground, that's why he's pulling at their wings etc.

Yes, once he figures out how to mount, it's safe to say the eggs will be fertile.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

See? Speckledhen wasn't needed at all! Thanks for catching this one, folks, LOL. And, yes, that's a great name for your rooster!

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He's just learning to play the mating game.

I bet, as elderoo pointed out, that he is still young.
    I hope you have about 10 hens for him, otherwise your hens are going to start to look pretty frazzled and stressed from over mating.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:He must be a BIG boy if you named him after a Chevy truck! LOL.

8. doodledo

Jun 4, 2007
    He is a beautiful bird. Silver and black. I ordered 25 hens. Got 26 and 1 was a rooster. I have 23 hens now and him. It is a shame, he pulled out the one hens feathers from her butt and I mean almost all of them.

Now is there a difference in the eggs to eat?

Then tonight I went in to shut them up the for the evening and bent down picked up one and was petting it. When I put her down he jumped on my head! Let me tell ya, that didnt go over to well. I need to stop him from being the "cock of the walk" [​IMG]. Any suggestions? Maybe he thought I was hurting her, but I pick them up and pet them alot. [​IMG]

9. doodledo

Jun 4, 2007
    Oops forgot they are 15 weeks old.

10. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Try this:
    When he acts agressive grab him, hold him and do not let him go when he struggles to get down.
    Pet him and talk to him and he'll settle down, then you can let him go whenever You want to.

You have to do this consistantly every time he shows agression, or it won't work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by