1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Call Pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tadyergey, May 9, 2011.

1. tadyergey

tadyergey Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    I have a few wild coveys of Bobwhites that roam the scrub between my and my neighbors properties. I have been considering getting some bobwhites and letting them run with their wild kin but let them come home via a call pen.

I've looked through the forum and didn't see any topics on this. Thought?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Likely Illegal And Certainly Ill Advised

3. tadyergey

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I defer to your experience, but "ill advised" Please elaborate.

Thanks

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Well, I see two faults in your plan, first off it is most likely gonna be illegal. Secondly I doubt they're gonna come back and if they do they will have a good chance of being killed.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Idk bird laws, but can liken it to white tailed deer. Releaseing domesticated deer into the wild could result in the spread of disease (look at CWD), as well animals that have been bred in captivity arn't as hardy as the wild counter parts. You can do damage genetically to the wild population if they interbreed.

6. tadyergey

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    I understand and appreciate y'all keeping me honest. Just wish I could help the dwindling number of wild birds around here. Thanks for all your inputs!

7. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    If you are willing to dedicate hours of time and a lot of money to the cause it could work. They usually won't live after you release them, the survival rate sucks... You'll hav to give your department of fish and game a call.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ms.Frizzle :

Idk bird laws, but can liken it to white tailed deer. Releaseing domesticated deer into the wild could result in the spread of disease (look at CWD), as well animals that have been bred in captivity arn't as hardy as the wild counter parts. You can do damage genetically to the wild population if they interbreed.

THIS IS THE VERY PRIMARY REASON .... THERE ARE MANY VARIABLE SECONDARY REASONS AS WELL

TO THE OP... IF DONE CORRECTLY WITH PROPER PERMITTING AND SUPERVISION THERES STILL LESS THAN 2% SURVIVAL RATE TO BREEDING AGE. I ADMIRE YOUR DESIRE TO HELP AND WOULD TELL YOU TO CALL YOUR REGIONAL FISH AND WILDLIFE OFFICE AND SEE WHATS INVOLVED IF ITS EVEN LEGAL AT ALL, STATE LAWS VARY GREATLY ON THIS. SO FAR AS I KNOW MOST THAT ALLOW IT REQUIRE STRINGENT CONDITIONS, PERMITTING, AND SUPERVISION AND ITS ALWAYS A 1 WAY TICKET--- RELEASE ONLY. THE WHOLE CALL BACK THING LOOKS (TO A GAME WARDEN) AS THO YOU ARE ILLEGALLY TAKING WILD BIRDS AND THEY FROWN UPON THAT WITH SEVERE GUSTO I'M AFFRAID, IN ORDER TO RAISE BIRDS FOR RELEASE/ RESTOCKING ITS A RATHER COSTLY AND TIME CONSUMING VENTURE --- THEY MUST BE RAISED IN COMPLETE ISOLATION, THEY NEVER SEE HUMANS DURING THE LIGHT OF DAY AND REQUIRE VERY LARGE FLIGHT PENS THAT ISSOLATE THEM FROM EVERYTHING, FEEDING AND WATERING IS ACCOMPLISHED AFTER DARK (KINDA MAKES YOU THE GAMEBIRD STARTER FAIRY [​IMG] ) ONCE RELEASED THE BIRDS ARE SUPPORTED LONG TERM BY JONNIE HOUSES IN THE RELEASE AREA. HERE'S THE BIGGEST PROBLEM--- IF YOUR WILD NUMBERS ARE DWINDLING THERE IS A REASON... MOST OFTEN ITS A LACK OF SUITABLE ENVIRONMENT, NOT SO MUCH PREDATION. SO UNLESS THE MAIN REASON IS FIXED YOUR SIMPLY SPINNING YOUR WHEELS [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by